No Thanks

Five months into this pregnancy and all is smooth, no swelling feet, not much morning sickness, and no complications with the baby. I'm still working and don't plan on leaving for maternity leave until the end of January. It's currently October and we are well into the school year.

"Okay everyone math lesson is over and now it's time for a quick 10 minute break before we dive into a new book." I smile at the kids and they immediately start talking. 8 year olds are easy to mange and don't really give me much trouble.

"Mrs. Patrick." I hear Emily raise her hand and I walk towards her table.

"Emily how's it going." I smile and sit down at the desk next to hers.

"My mom is pregnant too." she giggles.

"Well tell her I said congratulations! Are you having a new brother or sister." I ask her.

"It's a new brother, I hope he is cute." she smiles.

"All babies are cute Emily." I tell her and walk around the classroom once more. Minutes into out reading lesson Katy, Ms.Willow, walks into my room. "Look everyone Ms.Willow say hello." I gesture to the class and they all say 'Hello Ms.Willow in unison.'

I walk to the door and tell the kids to read in partners. "Ok so what's going on." she smiles and places her hand on my stomach.

"Don't you have a class." I joke at her and shake my head.

"I have my teacher assistant working with them." she laughs. "That's what we're working on we need you to speed up the application process for your teaching assistant."

I hated the idea of duo teaching even if the person was just a teachers assistant. "I already have the interview set for this afternoon." I nod at her.

"Well make it quick you need someone before this little button pops." she smiles and leaves the classroom.

At the end of the day I walk over to the cafeteria where the various interviews will be held. I asked Katy to help since she's done the whole assistance set up process before. On the table there were 4 peoples profiles and resumes. "So there's 4 applicants." I nod looking at each folder.

"That's about it." she smiles "We just read through all of them and pick the 2 that stand out." she says and hands me 2 folders.

"Ms.Greens she's out of college and has minimal experience. I need someone who will take care of the kids when I'm gone." I say tossing the applications to the side.

"Mr.Stewart 3 years as assistant for 7th graders and wants to move over into 3rd grade teaching." Katy smiles and places the folder in my hand.

"Mrs.Rodriguez has taught for 2 years and knows to run a proficient classroom." I say griping the folder. "I like the sound of her."

"Can we have Rodriguez come forward." Katy yells to the table next to ours.

Mrs.Rodriguez is a short lady who looks over the age of 50 with her hair pulled back into a bun. "Hello Mrs.Rodriguez we understand you wanted to help with my math and reading class." I smile at her but she frowns.

"I'm afraid you have a misunderstanding I'm here to assist a bilingual class." she says and her accent is slightly noticeable.

"Oh well do you have interest in 3rd Grade Math and Reading." I smile at her.

"No only in sciences and social studies." she says to us. "Sorry but I'm not the right assistant." she nods her head leaves the cafeteria.

"You still have Stewart he seems like a good one." Katy says reviewing his folder once more.

"Stewart please." I turn to the table and the man in the back stands up. He smiles and races over to our table. He wasn't the most average looking guy he was at least 6 feet tall with brown hair and blue eyes so that was strange. Either way back to work he sits in front of us.

"Phil Stewart." he smiles and shakes both out hands. "So does this mean that I'm up for the position." he says again.

"Possibly your folder shows pretty much everything that could qualify you to fill the assistant spot." I say placing his folder back on the table. Up close his blue eyes were much more noticeable and he had small stubble on his face.

"Am I hearing a yes." he looks to us and I look to Katy who nods her head repeatably.

"I'm going to test out this assistant thing for a while and after a week I will give you a notice." I tell him getting up from the table. "Expect you here tomorrow I'm classroom 22 in the C hall upstairs."

I check my phone and it's already 4:30 and it's time to head to my moms to pick up Chris. Before I make it to my car Phil makes his way to me. "I didn't quite get your name."

"It's Mrs.Patrick." I say to him and close the car door. He taps the door window and I lower it down.

"Ok I see your in a rush but I meant your first name." he grins and looks at me.

"Oh sorry it's Bethany Patrick." I say turning the car back off.

"Okay Bethany well can we get coffee." he smiles.

"It's four in the afternoon no thanks." I say gripping the keys in my hand.

"Well can I bring some tomorrow." he says again.

"Uh yeah vanilla iced please." I say turning the car back on. "Well I have to leave bye." I bring up the window and he waves bye to my car.