5: Breaking Point

“What was that?” My weary mother asked, slowly falling onto the ground. I didn’t catch her because it looked like it was an action she wanted to do, and my assumption was confirmed when she sat leaning against a pillar with a ghastly expression. 

The henchmen seemed to get the picture and left to go into another room, sensing we needed some family time. 

“I-I don’t know.”

“Well, I don’t want you to be in our business anymore. . . “ She whispered.

“What? I-. . .” I stopped speaking when I looked at my father, who seemed to agree with my mother. My jaw dropped. 

“Batman was right. We raised you into this life, but you have a choice, Kellen. You don’t have to be in this business.”

“But I want to be!” 

“You and your sister are too young to be getting into our messes,” mother sighed, seeming to grow paler for a second. For once, she looked her actual age. “We have to move because the law is raiding our home, and once we do, I’m done with this life. . .”

I saw shock hit my father’s face, he looked at her for a moment, his expression growing more distinct by the second. . . .

~*~Joker’s Point of View~*~

Stop? All together? 

I knew this day would come, it had to. I realized it the day Kellen was born. Once a family started, there’d be some issues, and here it was, clear as day.

I would not ever dream of settling down in a normal life, and I would still live life as The Joker no matter what. My kids didn’t have to be involved, but my wife was my right hand man. Or. . .Woman, in this case. 

I would have to replace her.

Now, this didn’t mean divorce. Of course not, I loved her, but it would mean someone else would be taking up all of my time and it would put my strain on my relationship with her.

I looked at my son, a growing young man and I knew that he would get himself killed if he continued on in this life. He wasn’t made for it. Not at all. He was made out of different circumstances, but that is a whole nother subject.

“I can’t just stop being The Joker,” I stated. Evangeline, with her dimming eyes, turned to look at me by lolling her head around, barely picking her head up. Her beautiful, blue stained lips parted a little.

“Well then I guess this is goodbye.”

The only thing I saw when the words left her mouth was my son’s face, the shock and sadness that instantly shone through his stoic expression, causing him to look vulnerable and weak, causing me to feel like a terrible father, but a great villain. Two parts of me that always collided. Father, or super villain?

“Alright.” I spoke, and that was that. A silence went over all of us, as Kellen picked up his jacket angrily and wiped off his face with it, throwing the now soiled, makeup smeared jacket in the trash.