thirty-four

Mingzhu was practing a song when Qin Fen walked in, "Mind if I visit my little sister?"

"Gege," Mingzhu sat down. "Aren't you supposed to be preparing for the party?"

Her brother ignored the question and looked at the lyrics she was holding, "You're singing a song?"

Mingzhu nods, "Zimo and I are doing a duet together. Kind of like our gift to you,"

"Why? Did you run out of money?"

"Yes, I had to buy souvenirs,"

"Who are you giving souvenirs to? All of your friends are here!"

Mingzhu chuckled, "I'm kidding. We honestly don't know what to get you so we decided on a song."

Qin Fen nodded, rubbing his hand under his chin. "So, can I ask you something?"

"No, you cannot take away my sunglasses."

"I wasn't talking about that!" He exclaimed. "But hey, your glasses are much better than mine."

"You bought your glasses on sale," Mingzhu reminded him.

"Right, okay," Qin Fen looked at his watch then back at her again. "I heard you rejected Yanchen."

Mingzhu rolled her eyes, "If you want to talk about him, you came to the wrong place."

"Mingzhu," Fen called out before she could leave the room. "I know you like him. What's with the sudden denial?"

"I'm not denying anything. I don't like him."

"Sure and I don't baby Yanlei -" Fen realized he was about to go off topic, "Anyway, why didn't you accept him?"

"Because he's a playboy and I don't want to be connected to the likes of him,"

"Is that why you rejected him? Even though you liked him that much?"

"I do like him, gege." He heard Mingzhu sniffed. "But I don't think I can trust him that easily,"

Qin Fen put his hands on Mingzhu's shoulders, "He's changed, you know? He's not the same Yanchen as before. He stopped flirting with girls and he came all this way just to take you back."

"He's wasting his time then,"

"He told me it wasn't a waste. That no matter how many times you reject him, he would stand up twice as much and try everything just so you can accept him again."

Mingzhu raised her head, "He said that?"

Fen nods and smiled at her, "He did. And I know, deep in your heart that you see how he's changed, too. Your memory of the old Yanchen is stopping you to be with him."

"Because that's the way I see him."

"Then try seeing him in a different light," Her brother suggests. "You know, Zimo once told me that he'd rather get hurt himself than see you cry over Yanchen."

"So, I'm going to date Yanchen because Zimo doesn't want to see me cry?" Mingzhu questions, a bit confused.

Fen shook his head, "No. Because Qin Mingzhu, you are going to date Yanchen regardless of what other people say because you like him that much and you know he feels the same."

A single tear fell from Mingzhu's eye, "Should I talk to him?"

"You should," Qin Fen opened his arms and hugged Mingzhu, tightly. "We all want you to be happy and I trust Yanchen."

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

Mingzhu paced in front of Yanchen and Zimo's room for quite some time. When she was about to knock, the door opened, revealing Xingjie.

"What are you doing?" Xingjie questions, holding a light bulb in his hand.

"Is Yanchen inside?" Mingzhu asked, feeling a bit nervous. "I need to talk to him."

"He's not here, but you can talk to me if you want."

"I don't think that's -"

"Hey kid!" Xingjie called out to Bangbang who walked pass them.

"Kid?" Bangbang furrowed his eyebrows. "We've been roommates for two nights and you still haven't learned my name?"

"Bong, beng or whatever," Xingjie handed him the lightbulb. "Can you take this to Peiyao? Tell him I can't come downstairs."

"Why not?" Bangbang questions. "As far as I can see, your legs are working perfectly."

Xingjie clicked his tongue, "Should I test them out for you then?"

"Okay," Mingzhu stood in between them. She took the bulb from Xingjie's hand and gave it to Bangbang. "Tell Peiyao I needed to talk to Xingjie."

Bangbang sighed as he took the bulb and proceeded to walk downstairs.

Mingzhu crossed her arms and faced Xingjie, "Now tell me where he is."

"Feisty. I can see why Yanchen fell for you," Xingjie smirked, moving closer. "But the real question, will you fall for his charms, too?"

Xingjie was about to touch her cheeks when she slapped his hand away, "I don't have time to play games Huba."

Xingjie scoffed, "Huh, that usually works. But nevertheless, I promised Yanchen I wouldn't touch you anyway. So, why do you want to talk to him?"

Mingzhu glared at him, "I need to tell him something and seeing as talking to you isn't helping, I'll just find him myself."

"He's probably in the kitchen or in the yard," Xingjie suggests before walking away. "Good luck, Qin Mingzhu."

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

Mingzhu ran to the kitchen, then to the yard where there was a small stage for some performances later.

"Have you seen Yanchen?" She asked Lifen who was busy fixing the flower on the celebrants' table.

"No, I haven't seen him."

She was about to run off again when Jeffrey stopped her, "The party's about to start, Mingzhu. You still need to get your hair done,"

"But I -!"

"Zuo Ye!" Jeffrey called for the younger one. "Take her backstage, Zimo's probably waiting for her."

She didn't have time to say anything because Zuo Ye dragged her along with him.

Mingzhu was standing alone behind the stage. Some stylists (probably hired by Jeffrey) did all her hair and finished her make up.

"Next up!" Jeffrey announced in front. "We have a special gift for the celebrant Qin Fen!"

A guy handed him a mic and the music started playing. Well, now she knows, its really the song she practiced.

She sang her line as she walked onstage, seeing a few guests she's familiar with and showing her smile.

Mingzhu awaited for Zimo's turn but was startled because the voice she heard wasn't Zimo's at all.

It belongs to none other than Zhou Yanchen.