Jelly Beans (Short Story)

It was a dark and stormy morning, and Bob was riding his loyal shopping cart to the 24-hour McDonald's.

He made it to his destination and ordered some fries. He was about to chow down on his delicious, salty fries, when a car crashed into a trash can. Shocked, he stared at the scene, but then shrugged and looked at the fries in his hand.

However, they were gone! Gone!!

"No," he screamed in agony. "Who could have done this?! No! These were my fries! Why have you forsaken me, Fry Lord?! You cruel being! Why?!"

When, suddenly, he realized that there was only one thing that could've done something as evil as this: a ghost. Bob was considering finding this ghost and fighting it, but then he realized that he really sucked at fighting. Also, he was terrified of ghosts.

So, instead, he freaked out and ran into a wall.

A small little boy approached Bob. "Um, sir," he stated, "Those fries... You see, I was the one who–"

Bob leaped up and grabbed the kid. "Silence, lad! There is a thieving ghoul among us! But fear not, for I will protect you..."

Bob shifted in front of the kid, and shushed him some more.

Out of the sky, a dragon fell, crushing the building and narrowly missing the unknown boy and Bob. Bob smiled, and started ranting about signs, mythical lands, riding dragons, and toilet paper.

Before the boy could question this, Bob hopped onto the dragon and pulled the boy up with him. "To Flockertop!"

Then the dragon started flying, high above the clouds. The boy had never felt such excitement! ...But then the dragon crashed into a flying fire hydrant.

"Not again," Bob muttered. "Well, see you later, Bessy!" He said, before grabbing the boy once again, and hopping off.

The boy screamed and flailed around as they fell, while Bob started calmly making himself tea. A giant splash was heard as they reached the ocean. Remarkably, they survived.

Through the blue water, they saw a humongous creature, so they swam towards it until there was a giant shrimp before them. They sat on it, and it began to dart in and out of the water, splashing other creatures as it passed.

After three whole days of this voyage, they reached land. But it was no ordinary land... It was Pacman land!

Bob saw the red ghost, and ducked behind a pellet. He whispered panickedly to the boy, "We have to get out of here! There's the fry thief!"

"Actually, I ate–"

"Hush, now! Let's run!"

Bob threw the boy back onto the shrimp and then sprinted to it, holding onto it tightly.

It started rising out of the water and floated off to the stars, leaving a trail of muffins in its place. As it flew, it ran into a purple unicorn who was also floating.

After that random event, the boy seemed to finally lose it. He yelled at Bob, "Look, old man, I've been trying to tell you that I ate your fries! I took them while you weren't looking, because they were good, and you were stupid! I'm sick of this crazy adventure because of this normal occurrence!! I'm going home now!" With that said, the boy leaped onto the unicorn and guided it away.

Bob sat on the shrimp, staring wide-eyed into the distance.

A few hours later, Bob was back in his town. He found the boy's house and snuck in, chuckling to himself as he thought about his revenge. He went into the boy's room and took a toy dinosaur that was on his floor. Giggling, Bob went back to his loyal shopping cart and lay inside it, holding his new dinosaur toy, and thinking of his victory.

Before he fell asleep, he noticed that there seemed to be something inside the dinosaur. He ripped off its head, and found that it was filled with jelly beans. Bob grinned and began chowing down like he deserved to in the first place.