No Trail

He'd promised He wasn't mad at her, but she knew better. It was dangerous to take so long playing. He told her that over and over. How was she supposed to remember? All she wanted was to keep playing, but He had yelled at her. She had almost jumped in fear, however she knew better. He could still sense how she felt.

He'd whispered sweetly into her ear. "No don't be frightened. You know not to play in such an open place, not where the nasty fish can easily swim along. They'll find your toys. They will take them from you and kill you. They will drive a stake through your heart because they don't understand, you know this. They will hurt you. They will take you from me."

She couldn't help but shake. No pain she pouted. She didn't want to lose Him. She hated the fish, they all had such horrible nasty smells. Disgusting odors like puke and shit. She giggled. Had that been out loud? She couldn't tell. Shit. That was such a fun word to say she thought. Shit. Shit. Shit. She skipped and everytime her feet touched the ground, she'd sing to herself. Shit. Shit. Shit. How easy it was to feel a strange peace while playing.

"Finish playing." He hissed.

Of course! She hadn't forgotten. They weren't the toys she wanted. None of them were right. They weren't the right ones. However, the biggest one was interesting to her. She remembered the feel of the rock in her hand, as she jumped up on it and hit it hard. It had fallen under her. The movement was too loud she'd had to catch the other toys fast.

Usually she didn't like playing with stuffed animals, dolls were her favorites. She loved fixing them. She didn't want to remember her old toys anymore. Her very firsts. The memory hurt and she didn't like hurting.

"Focus." He snapped.

She knew what would make her feel better, and so she looked at each. One then the other back and forth. One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish she thought quoting Dr. Seuss. She liked looking at their faces, seeing all the emotions that toys shouldn't have. It made her feel special.

He was impatient, and she slowly ran out of time. So she rushed through her last one. She hated that she had to, she wanted to make it all last forever and ever.

She had a new mask in the end, fresher and softer. Stickier. The stickiness was important. She didn't want anyone to steal her old one. Even if she got a new one, the older was still hers. She didn't like sharing with anyone except Him.

So using her hands she dug a deep hole and buried it. He instructed her how to make sure no fishes sniffed it out. She laughed, weird that a fish could smell anything. She was awed, He knew so much. And he was teaching her it all.

She could smell them approaching. The fish were coming sooner then He'd thought. With one last smile at her toys, she ran off into the trees. She would find new toys later until then, she needed to get away from the nasty tuna smells.

The knife she held still glistened with warm liquidy blood, but no trail would be found.

{I fixed a few sentences so they flow better, sorry I've been gone for so long!}