thirty-three

"Hey," Yanchen said, poking a stick at Mingzhu's arm.

"Stop that," She exclaims, busy looking at the marshmallow that was burning on the fire.

Yanchen shifted to his right and moved closer to her, "Can I tell you something?"

"Before you reject me," Yanchen was quick to cover Mingzhu's mouth with his palm. "Just please, listen to me."

Mingzhu reached out for his hand and removed it from her mouth, "I was gonna say go on but you assumed that I wouldn't let you speak."

"Because you've been ignoring me the past few days," Yanchen whispered.

Mingzhu let out a sigh and smiled at him, "Let's hear you out then."

Yanchen played with his fingers before speaking, "First question, why did you break up with me?"

"I thought we've established that already? We started a relationship because of Shuzhen, and I don't want to act anymore knowing that we weren't making any progress." Mingzhu replied.

"Is that the truth?" Yanchen asked, his head tilting towards her. "There's no other reason behind it?"

Mingzhu bit her lip, knowing full well that she has to be careful of her words, "Yes. That's it."

Yanchen reached out for Mingzhu's chin as he turned her head towards him, "Mingzhu, what if I say I like you? Will you tell me that you feel the same?"

Mingzhu looked straight in his eyes. Looking for something fake but there wasn't. Yanchen has sincerity written all over his face.

"I know it's weird because we started out as an act, but the more we stayed together, the more I know these feelings aren't fake anymore." Yanchen confessed. "Mingzhu, all I want is to start fresh, with you. So tell me, tell me the truth because I'm about to go crazy here. Do you like me?"

Mingzhu was about to cry because she badly wanted to tell Yanchen that she felt the same too. But something's stopping her.
Flashbacks of Yanchen flirting with girls while he's on a break from Shuzhen. Memories of that girl walking in the canteen right after Yanchen fix his crooked uniform.

Yanchen took her silence as a yes, so he started leaning in. Mingzhu's heart was beating so fast but before he could close the gap, she covered his mouth.

Yanchen furrowed his eyebrows as Mingzhu avoided his gaze.

"Let's go to sleep. It's late," Mingzhu said, standing up and walking back inside the tent.

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

"What are you doing?" Shuzhen asked as she found Zimo hiding behind a log near the river.

"Well, that's because -"

"QIN ZIMO!!!!!!!!!" They heard a scream from their camp and found Mingzhu charging towards them with a stick.

"That's why!!!" Zimo said, running away.

Shuzhen sighed, picking up Zimo's trash that he left behind and walked back to camp.

"So, what happened?" She asked Yanchen who's face can't even be described right now.

"He got rejected. Again." Xingjie replied as soon as he finished cooking some barbeque.

Qin Fen clicked his tongue, "Man, I didn't know my sister was this hard to please,"

"I already confessed," Yanchen muttered. "I don't know what to do next,"

"Don't worry ge!" Xiao Gui exclaimed. "We're not stopping this plan until we reach the letter Z!"

Shuzhen looked at Zimo and Mingzhu who was still chasing each other, "I think I know what to do."

"Another plan of yours?" Yanchen scoffed. "As you can see, your camp plan backfired."

The girl shook her head, "It's not you who's going to do the talking this time."

"Then who?" Yanlei asks.

Shuzhen pointed at the person who Mingzhu trusts the most, "I think Mingzhu needs her brother. And right now, you're the only one she listens to."

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

to anyone asking where i found the news about yanchen coughing blood, someone shared it on twt (thank you @/fluffzyc)

ps the next chap will be a bit longer ehee