04: Nightmare of a Wet Dream

Start from the beginning

I remember how angry he was at his mom when I first met him. It took him awhile to get over what they went through. What wasn't clicking to him was how long she stayed and let it continue to happen but mom says when you're with someone for so long, it's not easy to just up and leave. There's more psychological reasonings to why someone has so much trouble getting away from an abusive situation.

"She thought that if we were there and in a public setting it might sit better with him, and while I objected the idea, she still insisted. I don't think she wanted to be alone," mom explained, turning away to continue to move around the kitchen.

My eyes narrowed in. "She thought being in a public setting would make the situation better?"

Mom nodded.

I'm somewhat dumbfounded by her logic. Something like that was not meant for a public setting. If anything it would create more anxiety. I'm sure you have to think about everyone around you and what the best way to react is. I felt horrible for Dylan.

"She's freaking out, texting me and wanting to talk to him but I told her to leave him be for tonight and try tomorrow or whenever he's ready. He can't stay here forever," she said, handing me a strawberry.

"Yes, he can," I objected but it was mostly a joke.

"He'll need clothes eventually, love," she laughed at me, reaching over and pinching softly at my chin as I took a bite of the fruit. It was sour in my mouth but nonetheless good. I thought to take some cheesecake and strawberries up for Dylan, despite him not wanting to eat. He hadn't eaten since lunch today and he needed to eat.

"He has some extra clothes here already," I commented again with a looming smile on my lips. He stayed enough to have his own drawer of clothes.

"Go upstairs," she laughed again, throwing me another strawberry and I do as told but not before cutting some strawberries and a piece of cake for Dylan.

When I got back upstairs, he was fast asleep in my bed with Willow down by his feet. My lips twitched at the sight. Usually when he stayed, he slept on the twin blow up mattress we had. Though, we used to sleep innocently in the same bed until I started dating Nick. It felt wrong to sleep with another boy while I had a boyfriend and I don't think Nick would approve very much.

Not wanting to disturb his sleep, I sat the cheesecake down on my dresser and quietly grabbed a pillow from off the bed beside him and laid down on the twin mattress myself. I'm sure the day had beat him—with lacrosse and then the surprise of his dad. I was just glad he could get to sleep.

-

That same night, I woke up to Dylan's hard breathing and whimpers. They became more ragged and louder before worry completely filled me, and I knew what was happening. Finally I had to jump up and wake him.

After gently shaking him awake, he shot up in bed, breathing slowing as he realized he was back to reality. The street lights shone through my bedroom window and from what I could see was his eyebrows knitted together, his dark, sleepy eyes pained and wild as he looked back at me, lips set in a deep frown.

I rubbed at his arm to comfort him, his skin clammy and warm beneath my touch.

"It's okay," I told him softly, sitting next to him on the bed.