Chapter 10, Hangover

Start from the beginning

“Wow that worked.” I smiled, Daniel laughed back and passed me a bottle of advil.

“Here, just in case it doesn't go away. I'll watch the kids this morning and make sure they don't bug you so much.” Daniel smiled. I smiled back, holding the bottle of headache medication in my hand. When Daniel walked away to tend to Space Kid Max grabbed the bottle out of my hand and handed it to Neil.

“These are probably poison! Neil do your science shit on them to prove me right that Daniel is up to no good!” Max shouted, making my head throb. I really wanted that medication back. I took a long swig of my coffee. Neil opened the bottle and took out a pill, looking at it.

“Max it looks like normal liquid gel capsules. It doesn't seem like they have been tampered with.” Neil explained but Max was relentless.

“But they could have been! Examine them further Neil!” Max ordered, Neil tossed the pill back into the bottle and handed it over to me.

“No. If they were tampered with I would be able to tell, they are just regular headache meds. Stop acting so crazy Max.” Neil reputed. Max growled at him in return, throwing his hands up in the air.

“Why don't you believe me! David doesn't believe me but that is one thing, you're supposed to be there for me dude!” Max argued to Neil, Neil crossed his arms.

“Max you are rarely there for me and I'm not saying I don't believe you I'm just saying the pills are fine and the coffee is fine and you need to relax.” Neil spoke back, Max and Neil started arguing, each one getting lower as the other one talked. My head was banging again and I shut my eyes until Nikki slammed her hands on the table and made them stop.

“Jeez you guys have so much pent up rage like an old married couple! Why don't you two just kiss and make up!” Nikki laughed at herself as she was joking around with the two but for some reason her statement made both of their faces go red and then Max excused himself from the table. Neil called for him but Max ignored him and just walked away, telling me he was going to prove to me that Daniel was planning something. Neil followed Max into the back area of the mess hall where we kept the snacks an Neil sometimes wrote in his diary in the attic. Nikki smiled at me and poked my hand.

“Eh, don't worry David! Your drunken secret is safe with me! I won't tell a soul!” Nikki laughed as she slipped away to go and talk to Nerris. I took enough swig of my coffee and swallowed a advil pill along with it, feeling a little better. The kids were being a bit loud and I didn't have to hold my head anymore when they shouted so that was good.

Daniel gathered up all the kids and informed them we were going to go swimming at the lake and everyone had to go all get their swimsuits on. The kids ran off to their tents as me and Daniel quickly went to our cabin to change into swimwear. I pulled out my pair of swimming shorts and put them on, taking off my vest and my yellow shirt I had tied around my neck and also my shoes, keeping my camp Campbell shirt on and my socks just until we got to the lake. Changing made me think about how I woke up this morning, shirtless and pants unbuttoned. I didn't remember what happened last night, I decided to ask Daniel to see if he could clarify anything.

“Hey Daniel, what exactly happened last night after the first drink?” I asked him, feeling embarrassed because it was evident that I didn't remember anything past that first drink. Daniel came walking out of the bathroom in his white swim shorts, his pale but smooth skin showing. His chest was defined but not too much, he looked so nice. I hadn't realized I was staring until Daniel’s cheeks turned red and he laughed.

“Umm… Well, you did get drunk, we talked about work a bit, nothing bad of course… then we walked back here and you fell into your bed. That was pretty much it. I did go and check on the kids before going to sleep just to make sure they were fine but that's all.” Daniel explained, I turned to him and rubbed my arm.