1. You Are Not Normal

"You never know when you're gonna meet someone
And your whole wide world in a moment comes undone."

~Start Of Something Good by Daughtry

~•~

A  S  H  E  R

Whoever thought that grocery shopping at nine in the night is a good idea was clearly not right in the head. Apparently, Crystal doesn't think so.

Why can't they do it in the morning when the sun is happily shining over their heads and he's not half asleep, following his sister like a lost pup— no, not puppy, a zombie! Puppies are too cute and he's a man, he's not cute. He's sexy. Not that he thinks zombies are sexy. But, oh well. . .

"Do you think we need more milk, Asher?" Crystal asked, holding a milk carton in her hands. Not getting any reply, she turned around to see Asher leaning on a shelf containing packaged cookies, his eyes half closed as if they are not currently in a half-empty grocery store. "Asher!" She hissed a bit more roughly this time.

Asher jumped, startled at Crystal's voice suddenly making it's way into his mind. "I'm not a puppy!" He cried out loud before realising that he was with Crystal. In a grocery store.

"Very mature, Asher," Crystal said and rolled her eyes.

Asher scoffed at his sister and muttered, "At least more mature than grocery shopping in the middle of the night."

"Whatever, you're absolutely no help. Now, go and bring me some jam from the next aisle," Crystal ordered, putting the milk inside the trolley.

"I thought I was no help." Asher scowled and lazily leaned against the shelf again.

"So you better be some help, young man."

"You sound like an old lady when you say that."

Crystal just gave him a go-or-else-I-will-shoot-you look. He turned around and went in search of the jam, humming softly an out-of-tune music under his breath.

As he stood in front of the large stacks of glass jars containing jam, deciding over a flavour, suddenly a soft voice, too close to his ear, startled him. "You should always chose the mixed fruit flavour."

"W—what?" He asked dumbly, still a little surprised at the interruption. There was a girl standing in front of him in a light pastel pink top and denim jeans matched with a pair of white sneakers. Her raven black hair reached her shoulders, bangs covering most of her face. She seemed to be deciding which flavour to take herself.

"The mixed fruit flavour, you know," she repeated. "Like apples, grapes, strawberries and many other fruits mixed together." She said it like she was explaining why dinosaurs don't exist to a five year old. That means she clearly thought he was dumb. Which he was not.

"I know what you meant," Asher scoffed. "I was just surprised!" He said defending himself.

"Dude!" Asher turned around, frowning, as a masculine voice interrupted them. Two boys about his age, came up to them and draped their arms around the girl, who huffed and puffed, doing a very bad job of pushing them away.  But that's when he saw the most beautiful pair of emerald eyes hidden behind black rimmed cat-eye glasses.

"Don't ever listen to her judgements about flavours," said the one wearing a light blue shirt and black jeans.

"But if you want your taste buds to be damaged for the rest of your life, then go ahead and listen to her." The other one warned, who was wearing a grey tee under a red chequered shirt and blue jeans.