The Big Bang ~ "This is where it gets complicated"

1,894 Years Later

Young Mackenzie POV

I lay in my bed, staring at the crack in my wall, unable to sleep because of it; it scared me to death, it wasn't normal, it couldn't be. My Auntie says that it's just a crack, that it's nothing to be scared of and to stop being so childish, but that doesn't help. My sister's scared of it too; she doesn't like to admit it though, so she always lies in the bed next to mine facing away from it pretending to sleep, but not tonight. We heard something tonight, a voice coming from it, something about a prisoner, so she's now sitting upright in her bed clasping her knees to her chest watching it, not saying a word. I divert my gaze from the crack to my older sister looking for a sign of comfort, but there's nothing, she seems as scared as I am at the moment.
"Sis?" I manage to croak out finally. We never talk about the crack, never; it was like some unspoken rule so when she hears me speak she's taken by shock for a moment before she looks to me. She doesn't respond the glance in my direction is her reply. "I'm scared." I murmur, in my childish voice, being five I have an excuse for it, but I know it can annoy my sister sometimes. Without warning she gets off of her bed, comes over to my bed and grabs my hand, pulling me out too. She leads us to the window in our room and yanks me into a kneeling position beside her.
"Dear Santa. Thank you for the dolls and pencils and the fish. It's Easter now, so I hope I didn't wake you, but honest, it is an emergency." She starts, clapping her hands together. She nods to me as I watch her in confusion. She gestures for me to continue, but I sit and give her a confused look. She rolls her eyes leaning towards me slightly. "We're praying." She whispers. It dawns on me finally what my sister's doing once she tells, I nod and think for a second how to phrase it.
"There's a crack in our wall. Aunt Sharon says it's just an ordinary crack, but we know it's not, because at night there are voices-" I start to continue but my sister interrupts me.
"So please, please, could you send someone to fix it? Or a policeman. or a-" She continues, but alike me, she's interrupted, only it's not by me, instead it's by a strange whistling of the wind.
"Back in a moment." Amelia says as she stands up and runs to the window looking out into the garden and I stand up following after her. I expected to see something in the garden something strange and abnormal but instead Amelia and I were staring out into our normal everyday garden.

The next morning Amy is sent to talk to a strange lady whilst I'm told by my Aunty Sharon to play with my toys on the carpet whilst Amy talks with the strange lady. "It's a lovely painting, Amelia. And what are all these?" The lady asks Amelia and I look over to see her holding out the picture I helped Amelia draw the other day.
"Stars." Amelia responds, sitting opposite the woman and Aunty Sharon.
"Stars!" I shout. "They go up there in the sky." I say to the two ladies and Amelia smiles at me.
"Hush, Mackenzie, look Amelia there are no stars." Aunty Sharon tells the two of us. I just frown, of course there are stars, stars a pretty and they're like small bits of light in the sky at night.
"Tell you what, shall we go outside?" The weird lady says putting down the picture. Amelia stands up whilst Aunty Sharon picks me up. We all go outside into the back garden. "What do you see, Amelia?"
"The moon." Amelia replies as we all look up at the sky, I start to reach for it wanting to touch it.
"What else?" The lady asks.
"Just the dark." Amelia replies.
"And the stars, they're all pretty!" I shout, laughing as I imagine the stars that I see in my dreams.
"No, Mackenzie, there aren't any stars." Aunty Sharon scolds and instead of replying I pout grumpily.
"If there were stars up there, we'd be able to see them, wouldn't we? Amelia, look at me. You know this is all just a story, don't you? You know there's no such thing as stars." The lady says.

Later on I could hear the grownups talking down stairs and I look to see if Amelia's listening and when I do I see that she's getting out of bed. "Amelia!" I shout-whisper to her.
"Quiet Mackenzie." She tells me as she creeps out of the bedroom. I clumsily climb out of bed and follow after her and sit on the stairs beside her as we listen to the grownups. Suddenly a shadow appears at the door and posts something through the letterbox. Being curious, I start to clamber down the stairs to see what it was and Amelia follows after me. Amelia picks up a leaflet and opens it, on the inside there's a picture of a box and on the other side something is written on it.
"What does it say?" I whisper.
"Come along, Ponds." She recites and I smile up at my sister, wanting to go.