Chapter 5

———————

July 30, 1879

The Marquis of Westminster is spotted at Hyde Park with family and friends. The Duke, however, is missing. Could the father be ill?

———————

The day of the picnic arrived much too soon.

I deflected Emily's every attempt to rouse me by keeping the covers on my hide.

"You were so excited yesterday, my lady," Emily stated, and I peeked out the slightest bit.

"That was yesterday. Now I'm nervous. Charlie won't be coming because she left on a trip to her aunt's house." I moaned.

"At least let me help you get dressed, my lady. Should the nerves be too great, I'll help pretend you're sick."

"You argue an interesting point, Emily."

Emily hid a complacent smile and helped me dress into an olive green dress. It was appropriate for a walk in the park and very comfortable, save for the corset, but I forced Emily to leave it as loose as possible.

I chose some black sturdy boots that my mother absolutely hated.

"Make sure your mother doesn't see them, my lady," Emily said as she folded my nightgown.

I nodded and soon, Emily began to tie my hair into place. She also plucked the hairs between my brows, each more painful than the last.

"Are you excited now, my lady, or still nervous?"

"Simply less nervous. The Marquis just seems like a perfect gentleman, so I don't want to look bad."

"Are you smitten?" Emily accused with a laugh.

Shaking my head vigorously, I replied, "He's charismatic and sweet, but I don't see him like that. At least not now."

"Are you smitten with anyone, Emily?"

A shameful red rose to her cheek through the mirror, and I laughed.

"Who is it?" I taunted, "Do I know him?"

"No! No. You don't, my lady."

"What's his name?

"Oh, well... my lady, I would like to keep him a secret."

"Of course, of course," I answered with a sigh. "I hope he's handsome."

"Oh he is. And- he has the most delightful red hair."

We giggled until a desperate knock came at the door.

"My lady," Charles called, "A carriage is here."

"Oh my!" I raced out and skipped steps as I descended the stairs. I didn't even get to say goodbye to my mother.

A large carriage stood outside my door and the coach greeted me.

"Good morning!" Three ladies, a girl and a baby stared as the carriage door opened. Well, maybe not the baby.

"Good morning," I replied.

I quickly gathered who was who. Two of the ladies, Alice and Marian, were the Marquis's sisters and the last one was the girl's governess, Lillian. The girl, Sophia, was Marian's daughter and baby Victoria was Alice's.

"Our dear brother is so excited for today," Duchess Alice began.

"But," Duchess Marian cut in, "he's also very successful and with that comes an oppulence that tends to tempt forty-niners."