Chapter Eleven - Conversing with a Demon

Start from the beginning

Shit. Gnawing on her bottom lip she watched him in the dark, wondering what he would do. She could hear his ragged breathing but he seemed to be calming down. As a distraction she asked, "So this is your castle?"

He paused before inching closer. "Yes."

"You were some kind of king?"

"A long time ago."

"Nicholas said you're cursed," she mentioned softly.

"Did he?" he drawled. "What else did he tell you, little female?"

"That you broke the heart of a mystic."

"Mmm..." He reached out again, as if he couldn't resist touching her. Gathering up a lock of her hair in his hand he sifted it through his fingers. "I was very handsome once. Many women sought my affections."

She licked her lips as he ran his big hand down her neck. Her stomach tightened at the soft touch. "What happened?"

"I was foolish and arrogant. I seduced her and used her power for my own gain." He stroked his finger over her pulse point. "When she discovered that she had meant nothing more to me than a means to an end she made sure that no woman would lose their heart to me again." He sighed, pulling back from her.

"I'm sorry." She didn't know what else to say. Her heart ached for this demon and she couldn't fathom why she should feel such things for him.

"It's done," he dismissed with a low growl.

"Sebastian..."

He ignored her, leaning over and absently picking up one of the books she'd left on the nightstand. He opened it to the section she'd booked marked. "You've been reading about demons?"

Busted! "I was curious."

"Curious about me?"

"Yes."

He leaned back in his chair and she could have sworn he was smirking. "And what did you learn?"

"Well I learned about your realm." Like the elves they also came from another realm, a harsh deadened world that was no longer viable for life, even an immortal one.

"What else?"

"And about mates," she admitted bashfully.

He stifled a groan. "Oh? And did that interest you?"

It had. She'd read it over twice. "Yes. It said that when mated a demon becomes stronger..."

He nodded. "True. Our demonic abilities become more powerful, and we are more focused, better able to control it."

"And only males can go demonic?"

"Yes."

"I read that you can choose your mate? Like finding a wife?"

"Yes, although some believe our mates are preordained like the vampires."

"The vampires have mates too?"

"A vampire has what they believe to be a fated mate, one look and they know. A demon will choose their mate, the one that brings us the most in sync with our inner demon, the source of our power." He paused before adding roughly, "And often the one that brings us the greatest sexual pleasure."

She was definitely going to pass out from blushing. "So this mate, does it have to be a demon...er...demoness?"

"We do not share the same trepidation's as humans do regarding sexuality. A mate can be either male or female, and of any species."

"So it has to do with power? You don't mate for love?"

"Not always, it can be for convenience or political gain."

"Well that kind of sucks," she blurted.

"Why do you say that?" he asked. He almost sounded amused.

She shrugged. "Well the bond is eternal right? You're stuck with each other."

"Mmm...you have a point." His voice was low and gravelly as he said, "Why do you think we seek the one who can bring us the greatest sexual pleasure?"

Oh shit! She resisted the urge to fidget with her nightgown.

Biting her lip she thought back on what else she'd read. Once a male demon found his mate a bonding ceremony was performed. She immediately blushed again. The bonding took place during sex, rough sex. The demon male would speak an enchantment then mark his mate by biting them on the neck.

She rubbed the side of her neck unconsciously. "Do you really bite them?"

"Yes."

She winced.

Sebastian chuckled, the sound low and deep and so sexy! "It's far more pleasurable than you think."

She swallowed, her imagination running wild. Sebastian taking her again from behind, running that hot tongue up her neck, his fangs sliding along her skin...

He groaned, leaning forward. "You're thinking about it right now aren't you?"

"No!" she lied, badly.

After a moment he grunted, "What else have you learned?"

"About the different types of demons..." she said cautiously.

He stilled. "And do you know which type I am?"

"Well, you're not a spectral demon like Jasper. And...I don't think you're a fiery because your horns don't have blue flames."

"Their horns only ignite when they go demonic," Sebastian informed her.

"Oh, well the book said they are also more human in size." Which he definitely was not.

He cocked his head. "Go on."

"You're not an imp, they are way too small."

"And very dangerous. If you see one you're better off to kill it immediately."

Victoria frowned. The book had said that imps were deceptively violent, attacking and killing unsuspecting prey.

"Perhaps I should have you fitted for a sword," Sebastian said thoughtfully.

A sword! Her? No freaking way. "I'd probably cut my own arm off."

"Elves are preternaturally good with weapons."

"Yea well, I'm half elf and I can assure you, I am not. One of my first jobs was at a restaurant. I almost cut my own fingers off...with a butter knife!"

Sebastian stared at her for a moment before throwing his head back and laughing loudly, the sound deep and rough. Holy hell, if she thought his chuckle was sexy his laugh had her panties wet in a hot second.

I'm in trouble.