Chapter 4

‘Hey you! Want a lift home?’ Ashton came up behind me and pulled me into a bear hug. I laughed and batted him off.

‘Where’s Mitchell?’ I asked looking around but he was nowhere in sight.

‘Ah..’ he started looking uncomfortable. My eyebrows knitted together as I frowned. What was that supposed to mean?

‘Well?’ I asked, getting a bit impatient. It wasn’t that hard to say where someone was.

‘You know, with Tiffany.’ He said casually, digging his hands deeper into his vests pockets.

‘Oh.’ I replied. ‘Are they together now?’ I asked pushing away the sinking feeling in my gut.

‘Yeah...’he said slowly and I looked at him oddly.

‘Why are you making it sound like he murdered my parents?’ I asked slowly and he looked up at me.

‘No reason.’ He answered quickly and I nodded, not believing him, but not pushing it any further. ‘Want to come over this afternoon?’ he asked and I couldn’t help the grin that slipped onto my face.

‘I would love too.’ I said, looping my arm through his as we headed off. As soon as we made it to his house we rushed inside and he raided the cupboard while I watched amused.

‘Do you want me to make cookies?’ he asked and I looked at him sceptically. ‘You know, just coz I am a guy, it doesn’t mean I can’t cook.’ He said, folding his arms over his chest.

‘Yeah, yeah, I know, it’s just every guy that has cooked for me has failed so far.’ I said smirking. He started getting ingredients from the cupboard whilst I sat on the stool examining him.

‘Well.’ He said reaching for something on the top shelf. ‘A guy like me needs to know how to cook.’ He stated.

‘Why’s that.’ I asked smirking.

‘Because, I eat a lot of food, so I need to make it by myself.’ He said and I burst out laughing.

‘Understandable.’ I choked out.

‘And because Mitch can’t cook.’ He added. I frowned. So? ‘Well, mum is run down with work. She has been working so much since... Since Dad died and so she doesn’t have time to make dinner so I do for her.’ He said and it was clear he was upset so I didn’t push it. Instead, I got up, made my way over to him, and hugged him tightly.

Together we made cookies, and let’s just say, that I am now covered in flour, and so is the floor. But, don’t worry, because I made sure that Ash got a decent covering too. We had been laughing all afternoon and to be honest, I hadn’t had this much fun in ages.

‘Come on.’ He said, tugging at my arm and for the first time, I felt sparks go off inside me from his touch. It was like when Mitchell touched me. At first I was shocked, but I recovered just in time so as he didn’t notice. I followed him out the back. ‘Close your eyes, and stay there.’ He ordered and I did as I was told.

Suddenly, I was splashed with freezing cold water and I let out a horrific squeal flashing my eyes open. There, standing in front of me, was Ashton with a hose. Water splashed over me and I didn’t a frantic dance. That is how the water fight started.

Twenty minutes later, we were forced inside when the beeper went off signalling the cookies were ready. As we headed inside, I got a waft of delicious smelling cookies.

‘Be right back.’ Ashton said heading into the living room. Thirty seconds later he returned and tossed a towel to me.

‘Thanks.’ I said, my teeth chattering as I wrapped the towel around me. It was Spring, and it was warming up, but at five at night, the air was still nippy. Ash turned on the heater and took the cookies out.

‘Yum!’ I squealed excitedly. He laughed. We had chosen my all-time favourite cookies and I declared that I was eating them all, even though I knew that wasn’t a happening thing. Once we got started on the cookies, we started talking about the water fight.

‘You should have seen your face Ella! It was, Ha! Oh, this is too good! Your face was –‘ he tried to make a re-enactment of my face and we both busted out in laughter. If I hadn’t of been laughing so hard, I would have noticed the front door open and Mitchell walk down the hallway.

Ashton was first to notice him and I followed his gaze. He was looking at us, with an expression I couldn’t describe.

‘Oh hey Mitch.’ I said between chuckles. He nodded his head before I continued laughing. When I eventually calmed down, I stuffed another cookie into my mouth smiling mischievously, like a five year old would when they stole a chocolate.

‘How was your date?’ Ashton asked, and just in time, I saw Mitch slicing a finger across his neck frantically. I looked at him questionably, but he pretended I hadn’t seen.

‘It was good.’ He answered slowly.

‘But...’ he prodded.

‘Well, the whole time she was talking about you.’ He said nodding in my direction. My eyes widened.

‘What?’ I asked suspiciously

‘Yeah...’ he said slowly.

‘What about me?’ I asked curiously with a mouth full of cookie.

‘Well...’

‘What about her?’ Ashton demanded almost defensively.

‘Um, she was just saying that heaps of guys in our grade have the hots for you, I think she’s jealous – no biggie!’ he said. ‘Oh, and that you’re a bitch, because...’ he trailed off thoughtfully.

‘Because?’ I prodded. What the hell was her problem.

‘Oh yeah, apparently she has been trying to get Eva for like, a year or something, except you stole her. So, she is out to get you or something.’ He said slowly. ‘Don’t worry, I am sure it is an empty threat.’ He said and I couldn’t believe my ears.

Eva had been my best friend since we were in diapers. I hadn’t stolen her from anyone, and there was no way in hell, I was letting Tiffany take her away from me. I was a strong girl, I wouldn’t let her hurt me either, but the idea she was out to get me was seriously a gut-wrenching one.   

:)(:      :)(:      :)(:      :)(:

Hey guys, i know it is short, but i just wanted to write and so, here it is, i promise a longer one next time!

Remember, always up for a chat! oxoxo