Ten - Alaskans (Edited)

❀ ✿ ❀ ~ Eva ~ ✿ ❀ ✿

Twenty minutes later, I'm pulling up to the address Haven had given me before I left. I park and take a moment to breathe as I turn the key and climb out of the car. I walk confidently up the sidewalk and the steps up to the front door.

Breathe in, breathe out. You'll be just fine, Eva.

I raise my hand and knock on the door, perking my ears as I listen for noise inside the house. I hear two muffled voices and then footsteps down a set of stairs.

The door swings open, revealing my father. He smiles but it drops when his eyes find me. His lips part in surprise and he blinks a few times, "E-Eva?"

I purse my lips and cross my arms, "Father."

He falls silent and then looks at the ground, straightening his back as he looks up at me, "You're alive."

I let out a sigh and drop my arms, "Did you think I was dead?

"Sort of," he nods his head. "Yeah, I did, since you shifted without a mate I assumed you had died."

I smile bitterly and tuck my hair behind my ear, "How I am alive is not important. There's something I have to tell you. Can I come in?"

"Who is this, Keith?"

My eyes find a woman behind him and from her smell, I can tell that they've mated. My eyes shift down to her swollen stomach and I suck in a breath. "I am Evangeline."

The woman's eyes widen, "Oh... oh, I see."

My father smiles weakly, "Eva, meet my wife... Janice."

I clench my fist as I nod and look at him, "Can I speak to you? Alone?"

He nods quickly and then looks at Janice who bows her head and hurries away and upstairs. He looks back at me, "Come in."

He steps aside and I nod, stepping into the house. I look around the quaint home, noting that it's much smaller than the home I grew up in. I look at him, "You've downsized."

He nods as he directs me into the living room and I sit on the edge of a chair as he sits on the couch. "So why are you back, Eva?"

"Look, I know that... you blame me-"

He shakes his head, "No, Eva I was... hurting, I was angry and ignorant. I realized my mistakes after you left and after the pack shunned me. I shouldn't have blamed you."

"No, you shouldn't have." I sigh, stopping him from continuing. "Mom knew she was going to die that day."

His eyebrows furrow, "W-What? How-"

"I don't know exactly, but she did. She gave a letter to Haven, Mark's mate, the day before the accident and told her to give it to me when the time was right. And half an hour ago, Haven gave me that letter."

Frowning, his eyes flicker around the room as the information sinks he, "Have you read it?"

"No, I have not," I murmur. "I need information about mom, about where she came from, her past. The day of the accident, right before it happened... she turned to me with sadness and told me that I would be the strongest pura lupus ever to be born and that she loved me."

"What? How come you never told me this before?"

"Because at the time I didn't realize... what it meant." I mutter and shake my head. "I considered it after I left, but at the time I didn't have proof. But dad... I think her death was planned. I think someone caused and staged the accident. Someone wanted mom dead and they made it happen. Now I need you to tell me about mom, about where she came from. Anything."