Chapter 2: One

I was the eldest of the Garde. I was three years old when I escaped Lorien.

They don't remember their Loric names. They don't remember what Lorien was like. They don't remember life before the Mogs wrecked our lives.

But I do.

I remember my family. I remember the days I spent in my early years, bouncing around and driving my parents crazy. I remember how my sister would come home and tell me about her "adventures" while she carefully braided my hair.

I also remember the pain I felt. Seeing your parents die, bloodily, helplessly, scars you. I could never forget that. I remember the color draining from my sister's face as she watched the life leave their bodies

You know, I never saw her die. I do remember, vividly, pounding on the window, screaming, uncomprehendingly watching my sister run after the spacecraft.

No one else has to live with that for the rest of their lives like I do.

Or at least no one did. Until now.

This Mog, Adam, he calls himself, he's not like the others. A normal Mog would cackle and then argue that since our species opposed their "Progress", we deserved the torture they put us though. He, though, sincerely apologizes and looks like he's about to cry.

Not that I'm not crying or anything.

He really seems that he doesn't really like his people. I mean, I wouldn't if I were him. It sounds like his "family" despises him.

I walk up to Adam and hug him. What? He needed it.

Adam

I've hid feelings from my father many times throughout my life, so it isn't terribly difficult to push down the blush that had started creeping up my cheeks.

The scenery around me quickly disappears and a new one swiftly comes in to replace it. This time it seems metallic and technological, like spacecraft.

I get only a moment to process my surrounding before I feel a faint vibration coming from below my feet. It gets stronger, and stronger, until I feel the entire floor start to shake. I begin to hear young, high pitched giggles and laughter and I see eight children rush into the room.

"Gotcha!" Says a black-haired toddler, pinning down a small boy. I notice One come up behind me.

"That one's Six, and the one she's traumatizing is Four," she says casually. "See that girl over there? The one trying to read the manual? That's Two. And the one playing with the rubber ball is Three." My eyes waver over to two boys kicking at each other and screaming.

"Who are those two?" I ask

"Oh, those idiots. The short one is Five and the taller one is Nine," she says. A curly-haired boy with green eyes walks over to them, attempting to make a peace.

Nine rolls his eyes.

"Shut up, Eight. You're not the boss of me. I can be mean to Five if I wanna." And with that, he shoves Eight away from him and continues picking on Five. Eight's lips curl into a frown and tears start to form in his eyes.

"Yep. Typical bully Nine. And here comes sweet little number Seven," One says.

A small, brown-haired girl, Seven, I presume, hurries over to Eight and gives him a long, comforting hug. She then glares at Nine and looks back at the crying child.

"Don't listen to him, Eight. He doesn't mean it," says Seven.

"I was just trying to help," he sniffles.

"I know, I know. Now can you let me see that scrape on your knee?" Eight nods and extends his leg. Seven examines it thoroughly and then helps Eight up.

"Let's go fix that up with a little bandage," she says as she takes his hand and leads him to another room.

I look around one more time.

"Where are you, One?" She takes a deep breath and then gestures for me to follow her. She leads me through a few hallways and doors. I then see a younger One staring out the window. She turns around, her face worn from crying and her eyes moist from the tears.

"What do you want?" She says harshly. I'm confused, since I thought she couldn't see me. I then see a older man walk over to her. She flinches.

"I said, what do you want, Brandon?" She looks away, out the window.

"You know, I had a family on Lorien too," says the older man, Brandon. One looks back at him and Brandon wipes a tear off her fragile face.

"I miss them so much," One says.

"So do I. And that's why you have to stay strong. So that, in the future, the Loric can have a family like that again. Stay strong for them, One." She nods and looks up.

"I'll stay strong for you, Leila."

A/N

As always, dedicated to _MidnightShadow_  (go follow her and read her fanfic, Midnight Musings, if you love Navrina which you do ok)

Little Navrina scene for all o y'all shippers (including you, Thirteen)

Who is Leila??

Word Count: 851