Coming Back

Sans and Toriel had hit it off. They were now officially dating. They had been going out some nights, leaving the kids with a babysitter. Frisk and the rest of the humans were happy to see that all their handwork had paid off. They wished Flowey and Chara would see it, but neither were anywhere in sight.

Asriel had been giving the news over to his catatonic sister, giving her details of what happened. The artificial Soul was removable so he often took it off to change to Flowey to keep an eye during the dates then reabsorb the Soul to go back and tell her. He did spot Asgore at times trying to show up, but he would send a friendliness pellet or vine to make him leave, but sometimes it was anyone part of the plan who saved the day.

It seemed that hearing her mother was now with a lover was what Chara needed more to start speaking again. One time, Asriel woke up to get ready to feed her when he found that the usual bowl was empty before he got there.

"That's odd. I already put it there" Sans explained.

They both eyed the girl suspiciously. It wasn't until a week later that Asriel woke up to find Chara feeding herself. When she noticed he was up, she gave off a shy smile. It made him even happier when he noticed her eyes were starting to regain color.

Soon enough, when they were alone in the house, Chara began to start speaking again. It was quiet at first from how long she hadn't used her voice, but it was progress. It was nice to see she was starting to come back out.

"You're getting better. Just look at you" Asriel told her one time as she began to try utilizing her legs again.

She nodded before she stumbled and luckily caught onto the nearby chair. He helped her regain her balance before she motioned for a hug. He closed the gap between them before pulling her in. She gladly accepted, though trying her best to not cry. If Frisk were to RESET right now, she wanted to enjoy this moment for once with her brother.

"I've missed you" he whispered to her ear.

She nuzzled into his chest, her current way of saying she missed him as well.

There were a few downs. One time, Asriel woke up to hear crying. It was still nighttime, and Chara was not in bed. He walked over to find her there in the bathroom. She had removed the yellow jacket, leaving only her short-sleeved shirt and shorts. She stared into a mirror as her hands served as support for her to see herself. He knew about her little fit from before, though it seemed she was having a small setback to a trance.

Chara had looked long and hard into the mirror to see what she had become. She was fearful of her life, and that of the others around her. Now she knew what Frisk was capable of. It was just torture now, knowing she would RESET any second now. Every day is a waking nightmare. It just means more waiting around in fear.

She looked at the scars on her arms. The others had them across their chests in the Genocide Route, but they were all gone after the RESET. She could still hear them in their final words. She could see the horror and sadness in their eyes.

The first time they met was when Frisk first fell to the Underground. She was supposed to die from the impact. Yet, their Soul's Trait had awoken Chara from death. She never really trusted her own kind after all that she saw, but she had a feeling something was different about this one. She could've let her die, but she didn't. She had a little bit of her own Determination left in her and she gave it to Frisk. It let her live, and gave the power to RESET.

She trusted her with her power, but she abused it. She thought she was different. Yet, if she didn't go back now, she was unsure of what would happen to the others. She had to go back. She was the only one who would be able to watch her. It was terrifying, but she had to go. No more hiding.