Chapter 17

'You look beautiful,' Katie said with a sigh as she stood behind Octavia and looked at her friend's reflection in the cheval glass mirror.

Octavia, who was also examining her own reflection in the glass, was not as enthusiastic as Katie about her appearance. In fact, she barely recognised the fashionably dressed woman, who stood elegantly in front of the mirror.

The gown she wore was made from the finest deep orange silk, that glistened with gold as it caught the light from the candles. It had a fashionably high waist and was made from the finest quality silk and felt smooth and sleek to the touch. The material needed little decoration, and it hung from her waist and accentuated the curves of her body. The only embellishments the modiste had included, were short puffed sleeves and a small train at the back that dragged elegantly on the floor as she walked.

'Is it not a little... fast?' Octavia said as she continued to look at her reflection critically. 'I think that the modiste has cut the neckline far too low.'

Katie laughed softly. 'Do not go all missish on me,' she said her eyes dancing with laughter. 'It is low, but it is the fashion to show off your décolletage,' she said still smiling, 'and you, my dear, should not be ashamed of yours. You have a lovely figure that can be shown to good advantage by a well-cut gown.'

'But,' Octavia said to Katie with a furrowed brow, 'it is just a private dinner. Do you not think that I am a little overdressed?'

'Pooh,' exclaimed Katie dismissively. 'At Holloway House,' she declared, 'there is no such thing as "just a private dinner." The Dowager Duchess will see to that, for that I am certain. She wants Flora, her new daughter-in-law, to meet the ton.' Katie walked over to the dresser and picked up Octavia's cream silk evening gloves. 'Now,' she said with the authority that brooked no argument, 'put these on.'

Octavia meekly did as she was told and put on the long evening gloves that went past her elbows and half-way up her upper arm.

Katie once more looked at her friend with satisfaction. 'Perfect,' she said as she carefully brushed a small piece of lint from Octavia's dress, 'all we have to do now is select a piece of jewellery from the famous Kendall Jewels.'

The Kendall Jewels had not been worn since the death of her husband's late mother, who had assembled the collection during the last century. Her son, the late Lord Kendall, had been so protective about his mother's collection of jewels, that he had not even permitted his first wife to wear them. Octavia had been aware of the existence of the jewels, but it was not until that afternoon, when Freddie had returned from the bank with a selection of the best pieces for Octavia to wear, that she had become aware of the extent of the collection. 'I would rather just wear my locket,' Octavia said stubbornly, 'I think that the gold would match the dress perfectly.'

Katie sighed. 'Octavia,' she said in a stern voice, 'you are, whether you like it or not, the Countess of Kendall. And, on occasions such as these, you must adorn yourself in jewels.'

Octavia opened her mouth to reply but stopped short when Katie held aloft a staying hand. 'No, I will not argue with you,' she said with a sigh. Then, much to Octavia's dismay, her friend turned around and began to root around in the box to find something suitable for her to wear.

'Ah-ha!' Katie exclaimed after a few minutes had passed, 'these will be just the thing to impress those old dragons and have admirers falling at your feet.'

Octavia gasped as Katie removed a stunningly beautiful necklace from a flat black box. 'Oh, Katie,' she said in awe as the light from the candles caught the facets of the jewels and was scattered in a hundred rainbows, 'they are beautiful.'