Chapter Eleven: The Ways of Leadership

Start from the beginning

"No way!"

"Shouldn't we just look at the scroll and see exactly what it is we're supposed to be doing?" Sora asked, eager to stop the pair from wasting any more time. There was no telling what horrifying task Oz had chosen for them to do.

Silver rolled it open, showing it's contents to the lot of them with a puzzled expression. "Shopping."

Sora blinked, dumfounded. "Eh?"

"Oz... expects us to buy stuff?" Raelynn asked slowly, confusion plastered across her face. "What does he want? Toiletries? Bath bombs? And why the hell can't he get it himself?"

"We're going to be getting things for ourselves, actually," Silver said, glaring at Raelynn pointedly. "You know... to help us with that little test coming up."

She huffed, folding her arms as she sunk lower in her seat. "I thought it was a written test."

"Of course it isn't, imbecile!" Silver snapped, folding her arms. "We're going to be dragon riders. Do you really think we have time to sit behind a desk and write essays?"

"Isn't that what the people in charge do?" Raelynn asked, innocently tilting her head as she stared at her irate teammate.

"Tch. If you ever become part of the Dragon Council, I'm defecting to the Wastelands with no regrets."

"Silver," Eisa began, perking up from her sister's side.

Eir leant forwards. "Did you by any chance... just make a joke?"

Silver sputtered, scowling as she glared at all of them. "None of your business."

"Um... fellow teammates..." A soft voice broke through their conversation, every eye fixing on the stammering red-faced boy who'd finally decided to wake up – much to Beatrice's displeasure.

"Fellow teammates?" Eir peered at him.

Eisa stared solemnly, speaking levelly. "You don't get out much, do you?"

A low rumble sounded from Beatrice's throat, dark eyes glaring at the twins as she folded her arms across her chest, pulling everyone's attention to her.

Sora had no idea what to think.

"Did you just growl at us?" Raelynn bolted to her feet, eyes wide. "That was so cool! Can you teach me how to do that?"

"Well," Beatrice drawled, pointedly ignoring her teammate's crestfallen face as she turned to address the rest of the group. "Back to the matter at hand... What do we need to shop for?"

"I think we'd best concern ourselves with finances first," Silver said. "How much can all of you peasants contribute?"

"Oh, I've got that covered." Beatrice smirked, her hand delving into one of the pockets of her coat, pulling out a large purse. It looked far too masculine for her tastes, if her clothing was anything to go off.

That and it did have the initials O.B. scratched into the fabric.

Sora gulped. "Is that...?"

"It's Oz's."

"What?" Raelynn looked startled.

Silver shrugged.

Callum buried his face in his hands.

"I bet you we last a day, twin," Eir muttered, pulling a small gold coin from one of her own pockets.

"I'm betting more like an hour," Eisa said, flicking her own coin into the air.

"You're on."

"Put it back in your pocket," Sora mumbled, glancing around frantically, inhaling deeply as she tried to catch any hint of Oz's presence in the nearby vicinity. "Quick!"