2 - THORIN OAKINSHEILD

Start from the beginning

"Blunt the knives, bend the forks, smash the bottles and burn the corks, chip the glasses and crack the plates ─ that's what Bilbo Baggins hates!"

Ygritte chuckled. "Have you been around dwarves before? Do they usually break out into song?"

Aninth laughed along with her. "Aye, they do. Expect more of this."

"Cut the cloth and tread on the fat, leave the bones on the bedroom mat, pour the milk on the pantry floor..."

Ygritte and Aninth moved out of the way as a dwarf walked past them with a broom.

"...splash the wine on every door. Dump the crocks in a boiling bowl, pound them up with a thumping pole; when you've finished, if any are whole send them down the hall to roll...that's what Bilbo Baggins hates!" The song ended with laughter shared.

Ygritte and Aninth were now standing closer to the doorway of the kitchen. They peered in and raised their eyebrows at; all the perfectly cleaned plates, cups and utensils have been neatly stacked on the center of the table. Ygritte was not the only one shocked either: Bilbo stood before them with wide eyes.

Suddenly, there are three loud knocks on the door, which causes everyone to fall silent. Ygritte began to wonder just who this next person was, and why they caused all their moods to die. Her father then spoke.

"He is here."

Bilbo and Gandalf headed for the door, the rest of them following loosely behind. The door was opened by Bilbo himself, revealing another dwarf. This one had the longest hair of them all, and it was raven black, much like the night. Ygritte knew this had to be Thorin Oakenshield.

"Gandalf," the dwarf said as he stepped into the house, his eyes resting on said wizard. "I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way, twice. Wouldn't have found it at all had it not been for that mark on the door."

"Mark?" Bilbo's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "There's no mark on that door. It was painted a week ago!"

"There is a mark; I put it there myself," Gandalf said. "Bilbo Baggins, allow me to introduce the leader of our Company, Thorin Oakenshield."

At the mention of the hobbit's name, Thorin perked up and glanced toward him. "So...this is the Hobbit. Tell me, Mr. Baggins, have you done much fighting?"

"Pardon me?"

"Axe or sword? What's your weapon of choice?"

Yrgitte found the question rather amusing. With one look at Bilbo, you could easily tell he was a hobbit that never once participated in violence, so the question was pointless to ask.

"Well, I have some skill at Conkers, if you must know, but I fail to see why that's relevant," Bilbo replied, making a smile pull onto Ygritte's face.

"Thought as much. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar." The dwarves all burst into laughter at Thorin's remark before they began to lead their Company leader into the dining room.

In the dining room, they all quickly reclaimed their seats, and Thorin was given a bowl of food, which he hungrily scooped with a spoon into his mouth.

"What news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?"

"Aye," Thorin said in a gruff voice. "Envoys from all seven kingdoms."

Murmurs of joy were spread amongst the dwarves.

"What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills say? Is Dain with us?"

Thorin shook his head. "They will not come." This time, the murmurs were of disappointment. "They say this quest is ours, and ours alone."

"You're going on a quest?" Bilbo asked from where he stood behind Thorin.