Chapter 23: Bike Ride, Again

You and Mike were riding along the sidewalks of Hawkins, and you'd given up wondering where you were.

You were counting sidewalk cracks, trying to get the oh-my-god-he's-0.5-inches-away-from-me thoughts away, when a pothole catches Mike off-guard.

The bike falls sideways, and Mike gets most of the fall. Because you were riding in the back, you manage to use your right leg to keep yourself from falling. Mike, however, has no time to react and falls face first.

You don't waste time with 'Oh my God, are you okay?' and go straight to helping him up. There's a cut across his right cheek and his hand is badly scraped. You can tell he's biting back a curse.

"Shit Mike, sit down." You tell him, leading him to an empty park bench.

You scramble to take off your backpack and search desperately through it.

"Fucking hell...come on, come on, yes." you mumble to yourself, taking out your mom's mandatory mini first-aid kit.

You let your backpack slide to the ground as you sit next to Mike on the bench to inspect his cheek wound.

"It's not so bad, but it could get infected unless we bandage it now." You pull out the anti-bacterial spray. "This is going to sting a little. Ready?"

He nods. You spray it on the gash and get out the large band-aids. Then you move on to his hand.

"Ooh fuck, hold it out for me?" you ask.

After inspecting it for a second, you know it's not bad at all. But you have to clean it.

"Okay," you say, holding out the spray. "You know the drill."

"I don't like the drill." He sulks to himself as you spray it on his right hand. An X-shaped formation of band-aids does the trick.

"Okay, did anything else get hurt?" You ask.

"No, thanks Y/N." he says.

You snort. "Don't thank me, thank my overprotective ass parents." You begin to pack up your first-aid kit, but then you realize something.

"You can't ride your bike with that hand." You say, cramming the box back into your backpack.

"So we'll walk." He shrugs.

"Hell no we won't. I'm lazy." You say, getting on his bike. "Get on."

"You don't even know the way." He says, joining you on his bike.

You ignore your rapidly beating heart and laugh.

"Neither do you."

"Do too." He says stubbornly.

"Do not."

"Do too."

"Then guide me." You say.

"Fine." He says, in a try-me voice.

"You on?" You ask.

"Yeah."

"Okay, hold on." you tell him.

He guides you through his 'faster route'. When you recognize your surroundings, you ride straight to Mike's, ignoring his words of protest.

You both hop off Mike's bike and you dash to his garage and put it just outside the door. The sun is setting, and the sky is dark. So much for the shortcut.

"You're not going to bleed to death, right?" You ask him.

He shakes his head and grins. "Thanks again, Y/N. You're the best."

"I know, right?" you say, flipping your hair.

"Uhm...Y/N?" he asks.

"Yeah?"

"Well um...maybe we could like, I mean only if you want to obviously, go somewhere this weekend?" He asks, apparently fascinated with the mailbox across the street.

Holy fuck.

"Really?" you blurt.

"Yeah...why?" He asks.

"I don't know." you say I'm a small voice.

"Y/N, are you kidding? All stalker-ness aside, I couldn't keep my eyes off you since you got here!" He says.

You look up, straight up into his eyes. "Uhh, how much blood did you lose?"

He takes a step toward you. You're half an inch away from him. He can most definitely hear your heart beating.

"Not much at all...thanks to you." He says quietly. Oh my God, this isn't real.

He leans in and closes the small space between your lips and his. Both of your eyes are closed and you could stand there forever. Time seems to stop, and it just feels right.

When he breaks away, you grin like an idiot and stare into his eyes for a second.

He does the same and looks down.

"Sorry." he mumbles.

"Sorry? Why?" You ask him.

He snorts. "Well I figure you don't want some freak all up in your business."

"Yeah, but you're not some freak. You're my freak." you say, surprising yourself with how easygoing you are.

His eyes light up as he smiles.

"You know there was never an accident, right?" He asks.

"I should've known. Radio me tomorrow." You tell him. "I got to go, my parents probably called the cops by now." you turn around and start for your house.

"Bye Y/N!" He waves at you through the dark. "Don't die!"

"I'll try!" You yell to him, turning around the block.

It is physically impossible to stop smiling.