Chapter 9: Trees, Jumps, and Bike Rides

We keep climbing and climbing, holding branches for each other and making sure the other doesn't fall.

"How big is this tree?" she asks again.

"You'll see in a sec." I say. 

Eventually we get to the top.

"Okay, here we are." I say. "Ready?"

"For....?"

"For this."

In front of me is a porch-like pile of branches, strong enough to support both of us. It looks like the bottom of a tree house, very sturdy. 

Her eyes widen. "Oh my gosh, Mike, did you make this?" she asks.

"Yeah, actually, it turns out my fifth grade self was quite the engineer." I answer.

"It's amazing." she marvels. 

I sit down, but Y/N looks hesitant. 

"Is this safe?" she questions.

"100%" 

She slowly sits down. I dangle my feet over the edge, but Y/N grabs my shoulder.

"Mike, careful!" she scolds.

"Relax, Y/N. I've done this countless times before." I say, trying to ignore my red face and the electric sparks she just sent up my arm.

"Okay, but oh my gosh, this is so cool," she says. "How did you find this place?" 

"Oh, well, in fifth grade something made me really scared, or...mad? I don't remember. But I just wanted to be somewhere where no one was going to tell me it was going to be okay. I was sick of that, you know? So I just kept walking and walking, until I found this place. And naturally I thought 'ooh a tree, must climb'. And I kept coming back and eventually made this place. Ever since then, I come here whenever. To scream, cry, rant, think, whatever." I explain.

"Man, that's so awesome. The view is amazing." she says, looking into the distance.

"Yeah, that's part of why I love it here. You've never seen a sunrise from all the way up here! It's so cool." I reply.

"I'm surprised Dustin, Lucas, and Will haven't killed themselves racing to the top yet." Y/N adds, chuckling to herself.

"I haven't really told them yet."

"Yet? Mike, it's been two years since you found this place. Why not?"

"I...don't know, actually. Just promise you won't tell them either, okay?"

"Okay, but why'd you show me? We haven't known each other for that long."

Somehow my face gets redder. "I don't know that either."

"Well I'm glad you did, it's awesome up here." she smiles.

We end up talking until sunset.

Wait, sunset? 

I check my watch. It's almost eight o'clock. 

"Y/N, It's almost eight!"

"What!?" she freaks.

"Okay, so don't freak out. But there's another, faster, way that I usually take down."

"Mike...?" she squeaks, as I reveal a rope secured into the ground.

"Oh, no way. If this is what I think it-"

"Y/N it's the only way. It's dark out now. We won't be able to climb down again without falling. Our only hope is to ride down." I say gently.