7 - RADAGAST THE BROWN

Start from the beginning

Gandalf chuckled, interrupting his daughter before she could continue. "He doesn't approve of the blades we've discovered."

Ygritte rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Elvish blades, I presume?"

"And many of them," her father nodded. "That reminds me." From his long gray cloak, he pulled out a sheathed dagger. "This should serve you well. It's a fine Elvish blade, you'll find no better dagger, my dear."

Ygritte took it and slowly began to unsheath the dagger to marvel at its beauty. "As always, the craftsmanship is astounding. I've always wondered how the Elves make such fine weapons," she said.

"As have I," her father agreed. "Ah, I almost forgot ─ Bilbo!" Upon hearing his name, the hobbit began to make his way towards them. Gandalf passed him a sheathed sword. "Here you are, this is about your size."

Bilbo took the blade with hesitance. "I can't take this..."

"The blade is of Elvish make which means it will glow blue when orcs or goblins are nearby." Ygritte almost forgot her dagger would do the same, and smiled at the thought. After first visiting the elves, she always wanted to have a blade that would glow and alert her of danger.

"I have never used a sword in my life," Bilbo admitted, flustered. The father and daughter shared a glance, not at all surprised with his response. It was already safe to assume that the only sharp blade Bilbo has ever touched is a knife to cut meals with.

"And I hope you never have to," Gandalf told him, "but if you do, remember this: true courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

"If you are truly hesitant about it," Ygritte began, "I will gladly be of help."

Gandalf nodded and patted Bilbo on his shoulder, a smile on his aged face. "That settles it. My daughter will teach you how to wield such a blade. In the meantime, keep it close."

Bilbo nodded. He went to say something as well, until Thorin shouted a warning that caused Ygritte to tense up in alarm.

"Something's coming!"

Almost instantly, Ygritte had her blade drawn. Her eyes swept over the area for any sign of danger, and then she could hear it. Something fast was approaching them. She couldn't decipher just what it was, but it was fast but the sounds it made along the ground.

"Gandalf­," Bilbo said with wide, fear-filled eyes. The scared hobbit took a step towards the wizard.

"Stay together!" Gandalf shouted to his companions. "Hurry now. Arm yourselves."

They began to run, Gandalf leading the way with Aninth not far behind him. No matter how far the hobbit seemed to be lagging behind, Ygritte made sure to stick right by his side just so she could ensure his safety. The last thing they needed was to lose their burglar before they even made it to the Lonely Mountain. She was determined to allow Bilbo to return home with a still beating heart when all of this was over.

The noises got closer and soon they came to a stop. Ygritte placed herself in front of Bilbo, her sword clutched tightly in her grasp. Even though she knew he could handle himself, Ygritte still glanced toward her father for a singular moment to see if he was alright. With his staff and the Dragonkin woman beside him though, Ygritte knew he was perfectly capable of survival, but still though, she remained worried.

Out of the trees, a sudden rabbit drawn sled emerged. It skid to a stop just short of them, and Ygritte let out a sigh of relief when she realized it was only Radagast, a dear friend and fellow wizard of both herself and her father.

"Thieves! Fire! Murder!" The wizard shouted.

"Radagast!" Her father said in relief. Everyone seemed to visibly relax after hearing that Gandalf knew the man standing before them. Ygritte lowered her blade as she approached them. She came to a stop so she was standing beside her father. "Radagast the Brown. Ah. What on earth are you doing here?"