The Amputation

It felt like centuries before I woke up in a creme, sunlight-filled room. It was almost like I was in heaven, but as my senses slowly came back, a piercing pain shot through my thigh. But as I clenched my leg in pain, I couldn't feel my calf. 

It has to be there! I thought, but as I tried grasping calf, I just clenched air. 

Oh, my God! I slowly rolled out of bed and desperately clenched the pole full of bagged liquids. 

"Oh, God, it's...it's gone!" I sobbed as I looked down at my gauzed-up thigh. A few splotches of blood soaked through than dried just as it was about to leak through. 

Pretty soon, I started to feel dizzy and overwhelmed. I had a hard time choosing whether or not I should throw up or cry; maybe both.  

"This is it. My life is over," I sobbed as I sat down on my bed. 

A few seconds later, a soft knock on the hospital door came and a comforting 'Ginger?' came from a young nurse. She had a teal and pink flowered scrub on and her strawberry blonde hair was tied in a messy knot.

"Ye-ye-yes?" I stuttered. 

"Good morning, I'm sorry to disturb you but I need to give you some pain meds."

"Wha-what happened?" I asked. 

"A tree crushed your leg, but by the time you were in the OR, gangrene had taken the lower part of your right leg. Fortunately, you will still be able to fully walk after a few months."

"Who found me?" I asked.

"Your neighbor. She heard the tree fall and called an ambulance as soon as she knew that it fell on you." she responded, handing me three large, white pills. "Well, I leave you alone now. If you need anything, just press that button on the left side on your bed. And the TV remote is right there." 

As soon as the nurse left, I leaned down and pressed the on button on the TV remote. The blurry, old television clicked on, revealing a golf player dressed in white. I tried turning the channel to something less boring and, but the remote wouldn't change the channel. 

"Well, I guess I'm stuck with this," I mumbled.