Chapter 13 : Warrior

Start from the beginning

"Wow. Did you actually just laugh? I might die from the shock." I say in mock horror, clutching my chest.

Immediately Rhysand frowns and becomes his cold alter personality. So much for making progress. He stares at me blankly studying me like I'm this parasite that landed on his food. Annoying him as a bee does when it circles your head.

He soon realizes that we are wasting time and resumes walking again, this time a little slower.

Thank the Moon Goddess.

We walk down the gravel path surrounded by lush green vegetation teaming with life. Bugs land on leaves and birds weave through the trees singing tunes. The forest is dense preventing me from seeing  too far in but from what I can see it stretches for quite awhile.

I allow myself to take in all the sights and smells. Savoring the feeling of the sunshine on my skin, warming me up. Enjoying the brush of light wind skimming over my body. For so many days I had convinced myself that I wouldn't ever be able to enjoy the beauties of Mother Nature again. Now I couldn't get enough of the idea that I would get to appreciate the world for at least a few more months, until I got my revenge.

Rhysand hasn't said a word since I made that one comment leading me to believe that he is hiding something. Ok, well since I barely know anything about him he is technically 'hiding' a lot from me, but I have this feeling that something isn't sitting right in his past. Call me a fool, but I'm determined to find out.

"So who exactly will I be staying with?" I ask finally. Allowing myself to consider the absurdity of this whole situation.

Rhysand slows down to walk beside me and glances over. His beautiful face in contorted into a frown and a small crease forms between his eye brows. I have a slight desire to run my finger over it and smooth it out.

"You will meet her soon. She is one of my most loyal pack members and has been kind enough to allow you to stay with her." He says.

Hearing Rhysand admire this woman almost sent my wolf over the edge. Her jealousy consumed me like a wild fire, burning me from the inside out. If I didn't care what Rhysand thought of me I would have stopped him right there and demanded justice for praising another women in front of his goddamn mate. Weather we were a thing or not it was rude and disrespectful, not to mention it pissed my wolf off. My wolf angered was not pretty sight.

"Well I can't 'wait' to meet her." Say with as much genuine kindness as possible. I couldn't become that jealous mate. I wouldn't give Rhysand the satisfaction of seeing me become possessive over him, because Goddess knows that I would.

"I expect you to behave while you stay with her otherwise I'll have you moved to the pack house and given shared quarters with around 16 other kids in the orphanage section." He says with a sneer.

I almost punch him right there.

"Do not assume things you know nothing about Rhysand. I am not a child, I am not an orphan, I am a sister, a daughter, and a effing warrior." I spit out angrily, "I won't stand by as you insult my past. You have no idea what I have gone through. No idea of what I have seen."

I notice his face become closed off. His eyes harden and he looks away into the forest.

"Please excuse my comments. I haven't ever had to deal with a shit head such as yourself." He says cooly.

'That's it' my wolf growls and I give in to her as she claws to the surface, begging for air. She is starving for the freedom. The feeling of our paws on the ground, our fur shifting in the wind. My wolf is angry at our mate. She is furious that Rhysand would dare insult us when we were already on edge. So I let her.