Chapter 5: Containing the Beast

They were met by Naruto leading several Jonin and some of the ANBU. "Are you ok sirs?" asked the ANBU captain.

"Everyone is fine," Kakashi said. "Well, except Keiko. We need to get her to the hospital immediately."

"Of course, sir. We'll guard your way."

Sakura was one of the first on the scene in the hospital. Kakashi and Gaara relayed everything they could to her as they rushed Keiko into the ICU. They had to start from scratch. Everything they had worked on with the virus so far was back in the Village Hidden in the Sand. Sakura made the others wait outside so she could do her work. All they could do was stand in the hall silently and wait. As the minutes went by for what felt like hours, Gaara reluctantly decided he needed to go send word home that he was ok and to forward any progress on the virus to them in the Leaf.

Back in the ICU, Sakura checked on Keiko's vitals after she had been stabilized. She finally allowed Kakashi in and he sat on Keiko's opposite side as Sakura made notes in a chart. He held Keiko's hand in the restraints.

"Kakashi- sama ," Sakura breathed, I've never seen anything like this.

Kakashi lowered his eyes.

About a half hour later of sitting in silence, Kakashi left to go back up to his office to clear his head and think. Gaara had joined them by then and stayed with her.

A while later, Gaara , Yamato, Sakura, and Naruto joined Kakashi in his office. "What's our status?" Kakashi asked, turning to Sakura as the door behind them opened.

Tsunade invited herself in after the rest and shook her head. "Sakura and I have been going over everything we can think of. It's not good Kakashi."

"We're worried when she wakes she could possibly go on a rampage again. I don't know if we have the skills to restrain her. Possibly there are seals that could be used, but we don't even know what we're dealing with," Sakura said.

"I really hate to say this, but I think our best bet is finding and capturing Kabuto," said Tsunade .

"I was starting to think that may be the case," said Kakashi solemnly.

"Do we even have any leads?" asked Gaara .

"Perhaps when Keiko wakes up she will remember where that bug bite happened," Kakashi answered. "At least that would give us an area to start searching. All we know now is that there is a possibility Kabuto has been somewhere between the graduate school and the Sand Village."

"What bug?" asked Naruto.

"Keiko remembered getting bitten by something, and when she showed the healer where she got bit, that's where the poison was coming from," Kakashi relayed.

"Any support you need Kakashi- sama , I will coordinate it with you," said Gaara .

"I will do everything it takes. This isn't just about saving Keiko. This poses a threat to the villages if we don't figure out what is going on. It's likely not going to remain safe to keep Keiko in the hospital. We may need to think of alternative ways to contain her until we can figure this out," said Kakashi.

"Contain?!" Gaara rose angrily. He hated confinement. He hated containment. He had been free of Shukaku nearly two years but he still remembered when the demon took over how he felt trapped in his own body.

Naruto put a hand on Gaara's arm. "Kakashi-sensei would never want to hurt Keiko. I'm sure he means it for the best."

The whole room looked at Naruto in astonishment. "I trust him with my life, and I know Keiko-nee-san does too."

Kakashi nodded. "You know I would lay down my life for Keiko. But I can't put that risk on the rest of the village, or on her. It's for everyone's protection. It's just temporary until we can find a cure. I have a few people in mind that may be able to help us with sealing a chamber."

Gaara looked at the floor, unsure what he was feeling.