"Well, she didn't welcome it in the least but I can say with knowledge that she has an extraordinary pair of tits. If she were to give me a bastard? That child wouldn't get a chance to suckle upon those teats I swear to each of you!"

"Speaking of, I am surprised you didn't invite her to the dinner Thornton. Not all of us are married." One of the other men spoke.

Watson shook his head at the younger mill owner. "That girl is one to bed but not wed gentlemen. She is far too independent to make a good wife but with that sweet little mouth on her she would make an interesting mistress."

It would be another two hours before the party would end. By that time, John Thornton was in a rage that could barely be contained. Apparently, this was not the first time the Masters of Milton had try to compromise Alexandria's good nature. Each one of the men had a story or two, save for Thornton. Watson's words made him so furious that he was unable to speak for long moments and had to excuse himself to calm down.

When the last guest left, Hannah Thornton sought out her son. "Another successful event and another 11 months to not have to worry about it John."

"I am thankful for that."

"Did something happen?"

"It is nothing to concern yourself with Mother." What had happened with the other masters was not a tale for a woman to hear. "I think I need to take a walk."

Hannah Thornton nodded, but said nothing. She was unsure of what had gotten into her son, but his late night walks were not that uncommon since Margaret passed away.

He walked to the small house in Crampton. It was here that John Thornton had been properly introduced to Margaret. It was also here where he first declared his love for her. The house was empty but well kept. He made sure of that. The only thing the house held for him now were ghosts. Not real ones, he did not believe in such nonsense. These were but memories that would haunt him until his end of days.

Turning, he went to head back home. The journey took him elsewhere instead, the small clinic that was operated by Dr. Copeland.

He rapped on the door loudly, hat in hand, and waited. He could hear her running down the stairs. Thornton winced. Alexandria, as he had begun to call her in his mind, probably thought it was an emergency. When she threw the door open she looked startled. John Thornton was the last person she expected to see.

"Mr. Thornton! Did Johnny get into dairy again?" She appeared alarmed.

"No. I wished to speak to you on a different matter. May I come in, please?"

"Yes. Of course." She looked shocked by his asking.

Thornton noticed her state of undress immediately. It wasn't that the dressing grown didn't cover as much as a dress, it was the fact it was a dressing gown. Alexandria's hair was unbound, it flowed around her like a ripple of silk. Seeing her as such stopped him in his tracks as his hands itched to reach out and stroke her dark tresses.

He spoke with a mix of fury, lust, and jealousy. "Do you always answer the door dressed as this?" The words were snarled.

"No. You are the first person that has come to my door this long after midnight Mr. Thornton. Yet, I most certainly would answer the door as I am. I am showing less than I would on a hot summer day." She was haughty in her reply.

Thornton hung his head and ran a hand through his hair. He took a deep breath before speaking. "I apologize Dr. Copeland. That is none of my business. I saw the mark you left on Hamper's cheek. I merely wished to check on you."

"I'm fine, I swear." She looked amused at his concern.

"I'm pleased to hear that. Have all the masters given you problems?"