Chapter Two: You Are Made Of Sin

Start from the beginning

"Come on." I jumped and turned my head to see River standing beside me, gesturing for me to get inside. I nibbled my lower lip and obeyed as we walked into the mess hall. We went through the line and grabbed our meals before taking our seats at the long tables.

I sat between River and Ryan, who sat by Derrek with Kyle sitting across from him. Yolo came in shortly after, plopping beside Kyle with his meal. I had expected his mood to have dwindled from the counseler's lecture, but he smiled brightly at us without a care in the world. Part of me admired that.

The words weren't even directed at me specifically, but they still hurt.

"Someone shoved a stick up Chris' ass. Did you see that? He nagged at me just for loving on Dom." Yolo declared, casting a glance over his shoulder at the counseler named Chris, who was muttering something to Krystal, who nodded grimly. I frowned at Yolo, who locked eyes with me for a split second and I swore I saw something in his eyes, but it was gone just as fast as it had come before I could figure out what it was.

"You guys get the memo?" Yolo asked at last, peeling a banana and sticking it all the way in his mouth, glancing at Kyle, who watched him with a scowl. River frowned, but said nothing. However, the look on his face told me he had no idea what we were talking about.

"Skinny dipping." I told him, keeping my voice low as I ate a spoonful of potato salad. River glared at Yolo pointedly and Yolo held his hands up before pointing at Ryan, who blushed.

"We haven't done it since the time Yolo got us caught. I figured we could use a little relief and it'd be a more relaxed way of introducing Dominic to this hellhole." He offered. River just rolled his eyes and looked away, picking up his burger and eating it silently. I grimaced at the grease dripping from the side of the burger before I looked at my vegetarian meal of potato salad, french fries, and macaroni.

"So, Dominic, how old are you?" Ryan asked, making me look up. I shifted a little uncomfortably, twirling my fork around in my salad.

"Sixteen, but I'm turning seventeen in a couple months." I replied. Ryan smiled.

"You're pretty young. Yolo and I are seventeen. River's the oldest. When's your birthday? We need to know when to celebrate." He added with a grin. I couldn't resist answering because Ryan was so friendly and humorous.

"Septemeber 14th." I responded. Ryan nodded slowly as if marking it off on a mental calendar before returning to his meal. I looked up to see Yolo staring at me dreamily. I cocked my head in questioning and Yolo swooned.

"You are just so fucking adorable. Like, for real. Are you a god or something? Come on, you guys have to admit that he's cute!" He insisted, looking at the other guys. I felt my cheeks fill with color as Ryan nodded, giving me a secret smile before licking pudding off his spoon. Derrek and Kyle shared looks as if they were wondering if they should dare answer Yolo aloud, then nodded. I didn't want to see River's silent response, just because he seemed the type to be non-conformist and would disagree with them.

"Oh God," Yolo drawled, waving them all off, "They're letting themselves get sucked into this camp's shit stupid explanations." He thrust a hand out dramatically, gesturing with his other.

"You're sinned. The Devil slid inside your mouth while you were sleeping and took over your body to make you love another man," He whined in a nasally voice, then switched his pose and changed his voice to something deeper, "Or, one of my favorites... You're sick, but the only cure is God's loving hand."

"Come on, Yolo." Ryan scolded quietly, his eyes watching the counselers, who was glaring at Yolo's dramatic display. Yolo rolled his eyes, then looked at me daringly.