Nay

I feel sick! I think when I want to open my eyes. But I can't. It seems there is a first time for everything. I've never been sick, have I? So what the hell is happening? I try to concentrate, but I don't succeed.

"Nay!" someone near me whispers into my ear. "It's really time to wake up!"

That sounds desperate. I know the voice. Where do I know that voice from?

"Boy, she'll soon be awake again ... beaming makes your head do a few roundabouts, she'll certainly be doing a few more rounds," the voice laughs that doesn't sound very familiar.

"What do you intend doing with us?" asks the voice fearfully, the voice I know from somewhere.

"We just want to know what that damned angel planned to do with you," growls the voice that is absolutely unknown to me. "Angel?" asks the voice I know.

"You probably know him by the name Sam. At least, that's the name he's registered with the authorities ... and you're Tim Byron and the one near you who's off somewhere is Nasya Norton ... that was all in the motel's documents. The question is just why the angel was interested in you ..."

Tim Bryon? Yes, I know Tim. He's my neighbour. I've always liked Tim, or have I even been in love with him? I can't remember. What's he doing here with me? And who the hell is that Sam?

"Sam's an angel? Not a demon?" Tim asks, sounding fascinated. The unknown voice laughs and I'm confused. What on earth are they talking about?

"A demon? Boy, how come you're asking that?"

Yes, I'd like to know that too. Tim, it seems, has seen far too much television.

"Is that why you drove off helter-skelter?" the unknown voice asks and, when Tim doesn't answer, he says, "Well well, thanks be to God there are locators ... and we were on your trail very quickly! The angel didn't reckon on that, hahaha. You should've seen his face when we captured him ..."

I can't make head nor tail of this! I want to say, but nothing comes out of my mouth. Angels and demons? Have I finished up in a film set? No, I don't want to be an actress, I want ...? Yes, what do I want really? I give a loud groan. I haven't the faintest clue what I want.

"Nay!" Tim asks worriedly, and strokes my face.

"She's coming around again," the unknown voice says heartlessly.

"Why is she like that? I don't know Nay like this!"

No answer ... I assume Mr. Heartless has no idea.

"What are we waiting for?" Tim asks. "Do you want ransom money?"

The heartless fellow starts a malicious laugh. "Ransom money? Boy, you've got a screw loose ... I'm just waiting for my orders. Either I'll kill you, or the boss wants to interrogate you first and then he'll kill you himself. No idea how he wants it!"

I swallow. That doesn't sound good at all. I hope it really is a film set, then this would just be the dialogue, wouldn't it?

"But we've done nothing! Why do you want to kill us?" Tim asks. He always talks a lot when he's nervous ... yes, I remember that. He's sweet!

"When we've made the angel talk then we'll do what's necessary!" Heartless answers coldly.

"What's the big thing Sam's supposed to tell you?" asks Tim. "For a start, he could tell us what Jonathan's planning!" Heartless chatters on, washing his dirty laundry in public.