"But why have I noticed none of it?"

"Nay, I notice nothing of my gift either ... it's just there ..." I answer softly. "And now it explains to me why Tim at the first contact an hour later had enough breath to kiss you ... you brought him back. He lied to us; he didn't pretend to be unconscious ..."

"It would never have occurred to me to feel for his heart beat, because he did say to me that he just pretended and in the car he was so carried away by his gushing that I wasn't sure whether he wasn't just exaggerating ..."

"Even if it's a shock for you, I'm glad it's like that. It calms me down to know that you can help me when girls like Dina attack me."

Nay shakes her head. "I still can't fathom that she did that."

"I can't either. Nay, nor can I!" I sigh. "And now it's official that opposites attract!"
"How do you mean?"

"Well now ... I'm a taker of life and you're a giver of life!"

Eight weeks pass after that incident and Nay and I are inseparable. It's as though we were one although with our gifts we are exact opposites. We've tried various experiments with animals, mainly insects, so as to know if it always works. And yes, Nay is the saviour in my dilemma. She now has a house key from me because I want her to always have access to me. I trust her!

School is still a horror story. I still have masses of female fans. And I hate it. How many love letters do the other boys get? I've stopped counting mine. They want to "cure" me and think Nay is not the right girl for me. Bull shit!

Several times Nay had to intervene and save the girls who have touched me. Nothing worse happened; they went pale for a short time, but otherwise they were quickly okay again.

Tim is reticent. He even greets me, and keeps on worshipping Nay. I think the roles have been reversed for the first time. Except that Nay knows exactly what he's feeling.

Though I know Nay looks on him only as a friend I can hardly put up with seeing them together. What say she does still love him? After all, she's always desired him. But she's so often confirmed to me that I'm the only one she's interested in. That calms me and I try to suppress my jealousy.

Once more a new day starts. The autumn holidays have begun. I've got a date with Nay and am already happy that at last she's coming over in two hours. Sharon is beaming when she sees me with Nay. She's happy. Even if I don't touch Nay in her presence, I see the confidence in her eyes.

"Do you want breakfast?" asks Sharon.

I nod. "I could eat a whole horse!"

She laughs and invites me into the kitchen. She has baked waffles with fresh strawberries, hm, yummy. With ravenous hunger I grab the fragrant pastry. When we've finished eating and are clearing the table there's a ringing of the doorbell. "Are you expecting a visitor already?"

"Maybe Todd's forgotten his key again!" I suggest.

"That'd be nothing new, would it?" she laughs, and goes to the door.

Todd really is forgetful. How often has Sharon gone after him with food or important papers. An absent-minded professor would be the right description for him. But the voice I hear definitely doesn't belong to my foster father. It's an unknown deep voice that causes goose bumps to run down my spine. That voice clearly belongs to a man and it makes me nervous ... I don't know why. I'd really like to run away.

The voice asks if I'm at home. Sharon says I'm in the kitchen. Who is that man? What does he want from me? I have a strange feeling as though something bad is going to happen.