He could very well die this night.

Cursing his foolishness Sebastian ran down the castle halls, jumping clean over staircases to reach the main floor. The castle seemed to vibrate with power. The windows cracked, the stone pillars groaning. She's going to bring the damn castle down.

This was his fault. He'd done this.

The urge to turn demonic seized him. Gritting his teeth he fought down the instinct, his body shaking with the effort. His muscles bulged and his fangs elongated, aching to tear and bite through his enemy. He slammed his fist into a pillar, the stone crumbling under the force. He could not afford to turn demonic now. Even if doing so would increase his strength, it would also seal his fate.

Berserkers were the strongest among the demon clans, known for their brutality and aggression. When fully demonic their strength increased tenfold, their demonic form perfectly evolved to strike fear. He despised it, a growling and vicious monster.

A single berserker could lay waste to entire legions. But their strength came with a price, once turned they lost almost all reason. Ruled by their inner demon they were no better than savage animals, seeking the next kill.

Realizing this, the other demon clans had easily manipulated his kind, forcing berserkers to turn and training them like dogs. Along with his brethren Sebastian was born into a life of servitude and torture. He fought in war after war for his master, the fiery demon lord, Ivan the Defiler.

Until he learned to cage his inner demon.

After centuries of conditioning and pain he'd taught himself to control the vicious monster within himself, using his newfound knowledge to teach his fellow brethren. With focused logic instead of blind rage his berserkers decimated their enemies. He led his demon army into battle after battle, conquering the other clans and earning him the title of Sebastian the Vanquisher, Demon King.

But Sebastian never forgot how he'd suffered at the hands of the demon lord Ivan. Once his kingdom had been secure his army marched on Ivan's stronghold. Located in the far north of the demon realm the battle had been brutal. Bitter cold and harsh weather weakened his soldiers, while Ivan's legion of fiery demons wreaked havoc on his army.

Then came the vampires.

There'd been rumors Lord Ivan had aligned with a house of Forsaken, red eyed vampires near mad with bloodlust. Sebastian would never have believed such travesty if he had not seen it with his own eyes. The filthy leeches had slaughtered many of his soldiers, feeding off them as they went.

With his army being laid to waste Sebastian took desperate measures to ensure victory, seducing an extremely powerful mystic. Levina the Ever Watchful was well known for her schemes and vengeful nature, a wiser demon would have kept his distance. Ignoring caution he turned Levina to his cause with sweet words and empty promises, deceiving the sorceress without a single ounce of remorse. Then he watched with satisfaction as Levina destroyed his enemies. Once Lord Ivan had fled and his stronghold had fallen Sebastian abandoned the sorceress. What was one more female in a long line of conquests?

And now she comes for me.

As he reached the bottom steps to the main hall the heavy castle doors flew open. Shards of wood skittered across the stone floor as lightning struck viciously outside.

Sebastian sucked in a breath, his hand tightening on his sword. The vision before him was one he would never forget. Levina floated in the entrance, long golden locks whipping about her face. Her eyes, once bright silver, were completely black and full of hatred. As she glided across the threshold her white dress billowed about her legs.