Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I had spent most of my life walking around in a complete daze, and I probably would have been perfectly content to stay that way but things never end up the way you plan. I wasn't the typical teenager, not someone that you would call "normal" but I wasn't unique or weird or anything either. In school I was thought of as the "loner", it's not that I was a social outcast or anything its just that I was never really interested in other people (which means "I like to mind my own bussiness and not get involved in all the idiotic high school drama").I didn't really stand out; I was't georgeous, I wasn't super athletic or talented, I kept to myself, did well in school, and stayed out of trouble.

I was 17 years old and I was getting ready to graduate early, the faster I graduated the faster I could move out. Oh how I was ready to move out!!!! \

There were seven kids in my house, and I was the oldest one. My mom had me during her first marriage to my dad -(he abandoned his parental rights as soon as the divorce papers were signed) and the other six were hers and my stepdad's. Although I knew that my stepdad couldn't stand me, my homelife wasn't horrible or anything, it's just that they never saw me as a member of the family, it was like I was the extra child and everyone else was on a higher priority list than me. I was just tired of it, I had been working and saving to leave ever since I was fifteen and got my job working part-time at Yolanda's new and used bookstore. It was my favorite place in the world, there weren't tons of screaming kids running around and making messes, it was quite and peaceful (aside from the occasional disgruntled anime junky who needed a defibulator when he realized that you didn't have the newest copies of Bleach), and Yolanda was the most wonderfull boss anyone could ask for - when I told her I wouldn't be able to afford to go to college she pulled some strings (don't ask me how) and managed to get me a full scholarship to El Centro, the local community college in town, she'd even promised me full-time hours as soon as I graduate so that I can afford to move out. But until I graduate in three months, I'm still stuck in an overcrowded house, being the free baby-sitter, and the unwanted offspring.

Needless to say, I spent most of my time at the bookstore, it was my getaway, and I absolutely adored the musty smell of those collosal stacks of used books (it was my real home). It was in this very place that I snapped out of my lifetime daze, I stepped into reality and it consumed me (it wasn't the reallity I was expecting, but like I said earlier, it never is). It was around four, I had just gotten to the store and had started working on sorting this enormous tower of books. The stack was taller than I was, it had to be at least six feet, I took one look at it and realized that my entertainment for the entire evening was stacked up in the middle of the fantasy isle.

I had been sorting for at least two hours and we hadn't had a single customer, it was Tuesday, that was our slow night - i consider myself lucky if I get even one customer on a Tuesday- and so you can understand why I was startled when I heard the bell on the door jingle and someone walk into the store. I hurried down the latter where I was putting away some rare books to help the customer

"I'll be right with y...", and that's when my clumsy self slipped on a step, fell about five feet, and knocked myself out............................................

"hey!!, hey!!. wake up!!!" why was someone slapping me in the face???

"I'm awake!!!!, stop hitting me!!!",all of the sudden the slapping stopped, and then

I opened my dark brown eyes............. and saw the most gorgeos emerald green eyes staring at me with a worried expression.

"Are you okay????" he said, with a voice as smooth as honey that would have made me faint if I hadn't just done that exact thing.

I started to sit up and then winced, my head was pounding "my head feels like someone just hit me with a sledge hammer, but other than that I think I'll live" I responded.