Chapter 6 The Silence

Nora held onto Eli for what felt like hours. She was grateful, he didn't comment or pull away. He held on and gently rubbed her back. She never thought a gentle touch like this could be so comforting. She always shied away from such gestures.

Eli knew she needed to cry, he was glad he could be here to give her a shoulder. He could care less that his shirt was soaked through with tears and his legs were starting to get tired and numb. Eventually, he felt her relax in his arms, her breathing steadied and her grip on him loosened. Had she stopped crying? He shifted gently to see. Well he was sort of right, she had stopped crying but now was asleep in his arms. Seems like all the crying and lack of sleep got to her. He hoped she was a heavy sleeper. He shifted to a more comfortable position and held her as she slept. He wouldn't wake her. This was the first real sleep she'd had in days since her rescue. He sighed as he looked around. So much loss and sadness. He couldn't let this happen again. Not to her, not to anyone in slugterra. His resolve to stop Blakk was stronger than ever.

----------------------------------

"Pronto is surprisingly impressed by the stories of your family new friend Kain. You are acceptable company for Pronto the great." Pronto gave a large cocky smile. Kain chuckled, there was something about this molinoid that was hard to dislike. Despite how annoying he might be at times. 

"Sure is an honor Mr. The Great."

Trixie giggled and Kord gave a rumbling laugh. Pronto cocked his head not catching the joke. Kain looked around the group. Man Eli could be as quiet as nora, he thought to himself. That was until he noticed the shane wasn't even there. Damn it, had gone after her even after he'd told him to give her room. The hypocrite. Kain shoved down any feelings that were remotely close to jealousy, best not to go there.

"Woah, when did Eli leave?" Trixie said noticing he was gone.

"He headed after Nora a while back." kord said as he fiddled with his blaster.

"Y'ah didn't think to say any thin'?" kain asked, a small edge to his tone. The Cave troll met his gaze for a moment.

"I figured it was best to let him go alone. He's good at talking with people. " He watched Kains jaw clench. "Nothing against you Kain, but i get the feeling you'd spend the whole time talking to her and reassuring her. And it seems like she needs someone to just be a gentle presence nearby." Kord could see the tick in the man's jaw. Sure that seemed presumptuous to say but he had observed the new member of the team these last couple days. She wasn't very receptive to words of comfort or reassurance. He would watch her tense up as they tried. Instead, he watched her relax and find more comfort when their leader would just walk over and hang out silently or listen. They talked about simple things and eli's family. Eli would only talk about her family if she brought it up. He was good at understanding her. At Least from what the cave troll saw.

"Don' speak like you know her better than me." the edge in kain's voice sharpening. "I've known her since we were just kids." He hated to admit it though, but she had been gone two years things could have changed. Hell he saw already a difference in her eyes when they spoke earlier. He was just too damn stubborn to let this cave trolls words be true though. He turned and stalked off towards the tree line.

"They'll be back," Kord called out and sighed as the guy ignored him.

"Should we stop him?" Trixie asked surprised at the conversation that had just happened.

 Kord shook his head. "No, I get the feeling he'll understand what i meant." or Eli came back with a black eye. He was 50/50 on this one.

-----------------------------------

Kain stopped in his tracks as he approached the cemetery. He didn't enter. After they had buried Mr. and Mrs Drake. His pa and ma had planted a tree behind the headstone. It grew the Drake couples favorite flowers. It had grown over the two years into a sturdy impressive size for the plant type. His jaw clenched as he stared at the two figures at the base of the tree.

Some time earlier Eli had moved them closer to the tree so he could lean back. Eventually he had fallen asleep right along with Nora. He sat there holding her as he slept. Her hand clung to his shirt. Their breathing steady and soft. Even their slugs had been pulled into the nap. Everything around them was calm and silent. The only sounds came from a soft breeze that rustled the leaves on the trees branches and the soft snores of the slugs.

"Damn it," kain huffed. He closed his eyes and took a long breath. Cave troll was right, but he'll never admit it out loud. To see her close to someone not him or family drove the truth in. Eli did know what he was doing. He decided the best thing was to go back and let them return on their own when Nora was ready. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note: It has been far too long since i've given you guys an update. I apologize. There's a lot on my plate but i so badly want to continue. I sadly cannot promise regular updates but i shall try my best. It has been a while since i wrote this. i hope everyone is still in character ;-; please let me know know what you think. I hope this chapter was worth the wait lol

I offer this sketch of nora as an apology gift lol (still working on the design)