10) In the shadow of a goodbye

Start from the beginning

"She used to live not even a half of a mile away from our house. Me and my brother... we spent a lot of time at her place. Outside too – she had a big garden and an orchard. We often had a sleepover at her place, playing cards, watching cooking shows. We baked a cake for my parent's wedding anniversary, stuff like that. I... I miss her."

Matt hand touched hers lightly as she stood up. She interweaved their fingers, wasting a poor attempt of a smile in his direction.

"How did she die?"

"Cancer. Three years ago. It was... hard. She hated being in the hospital. But she was deteriorating quickly and... well. Mum used to say we were her everything – her grandchildren. I don't think I'll ever stop being sorry for not coming to her as often as I used to when I was a kid. She, uhm-- this isn't just her grave. It's grandpa's too... and my aunt's – my mum's sister," Vera added hesitantly, voice too quiet. It was good Matt had super-hearing, because otherwise he would have to ask her to repeat it. Instead, he just ran his thumb over her knuckles.

"I'm sorry."

"Her life wasn't easy. I didn't give it a second thought at the time, I wasn't... mature enough. My grandpa died when I was four years old, my aunt two years later. It took me awhile to realize what my mum and Grans had been through. When I look back at it, I admire them a lot; neither mum or Grands have never looked like someone who has been through that. Guess who reminds that me of. So... yeah. That's... that's it. Now you know about Grans."

"I'm glad. Thank you for taking me here," Matt whispered softly and Vera smiled at him honestly through her tears.

"I'm glad you came with me."

---

They talked about Matt's own grandma on their way back. Vera grimaced when she heard about the lady believing there was the Devil in Murdock boys again, but there were nice moments to remember too. The conversation slowly turned lighter.

They had quick lunch at home, soon heading to the chateau. Vera wasn't sure she wanted to know how wild the party had turned out. The answer was very wild, because Matt wasn't the only one wearing sunglasses despite the not so sunny weather. It was safer not to talk to certain people. Jiťa and Marky weren't some of them though. Neither was Anna – but she needed an hour to wake up properly. Thinking about it, Vera would prefer if she didn't.

"Do you have any particular reason for wearing a turtleneck today?" Anna wondered and Vera closed her eyes, mentally counting to ten. Yes, there was a reason for that – all of her other tops she had here exposed at least one brilliant mark Matt had given her last night.

"Uhm... no? I mean, it's one of the rare pieces of clothing I have here that looks at least decent...?"

"Hm... so it has nothing to do with the fact that you and your boyfriend looked like you needed to get a room half-- no, not half of the time, all of the time yesterday, huh?"

Vera felt her face flushing with embarrassment. Had they gone too PDA the night before? It had been mostly Anna who had caught them showing affection, that was true... but. No. They had been doing just fine. Anna's fantasy was too wild.

"What? No! Šmarja, Ani..."

"Lady protests a little too much. If it's not the case, can I check?" Anna asked, reaching for Vera's neck and Vera instinctively retreated, covering the place with her palm. "Noooo way-"

"Shut up. What are you, twelve?" Vera murmured, stroking the incriminated place subconsciously and her friend giggled.

"Me? What about him, how old is he to leave a hickey? Or is like... possessive? Likes leaving marks?"