Alex was quiet and careful. The little lad felt better, thankfully. His throat was very sore so she gave him a very small amount of the laudanum to ease the soreness. Not wanting him to get restless, she asked if he would like to hear a story. When Johnny nodded yes, Alex sat on the edge of the bed and started to tell him a story.

"T'was a dark and stormy night and all the bunnies in BunBunLand were tucked into their little beds. Bunnies big and small lay dreaming of carrots and candy whilst they slept." She made the sounds of wind and rain while wiggling her fingers to make it more real and fun for Johnny. The little boy climbed over her knee and sat on Alex's lap. He was enjoying her story.

She moved him gently in time with the story, letting him have a little bit of interaction with her. "But one little bunny was sitting under the tree, watching the wind and the rain. Do you know why that little bunny was out in the rain?" Alex smiled when Johnny shook his head. "Because he had heard that the first star after a storm to be seen would grant him the wish of all wishes. So the little bunny sat. Looking up to the sky for the rain to stop and the stars to appear. All of a sudden, old hoot owl called out to the little bunny."

"Whooooooooo are you little BunBun from BunBunLand to sit waiting in the rain? I am the one that will get the first and best wish old hoot owl! The little bunny replied and the owl started to laugh at the little Bun and said that is not trooooooooooo! But the little Bun knew he was right and stood proud after being laughed at. He waited and waited until finally the skies started to clear. While he was watching, the bestest and brightest star shined in the dark sky. Right there he made his wish. And do you know what the wish was?" Johnny shook his head. "He asked for....."

Alex looked up and saw that John Thornton was now awake and was watching both her and his son silently. Tapping Johnny's arm to get his attention, she pointed to his father. The little boy smiled happily, seeing his father so close. He scurried across the bed and to the elder John Thornton.

Standing up, Alex left the room to give father and son some private time. It was only about twenty minutes later when the elder Thornton left the room.

"Is everything alright Mr. Thornton?"

"He started to drift off to sleep again."

"He will do that for a couple of days. Let him rest, it is good for him."

"Thank you Dr. Copeland."

"For?"

Thornton sighed. "Everything. My son doesn't take to women very well, other than my mother. I am to blame for that, I'm sure."

"Come, sit. Let me make you something to eat and some tea."

"You don't need to."

"I know. But I shall. Besides I need to break my own fast."

Tea and porridge were served, nothing extravagant but they both tucked into the food after the long night. Where they were seated, it was easy to keep an eye on the young patient and Alex did so with a sharp eye.

"So why do you think your son isn't fond of women and that it is your fault Mr. Thornton?"

"Because I am not comfortable around them myself." He looked down at the now empty bowl before him. "I miss my wife."

Alexandria looked thoughtful. "My father once told me I treated the body and not the person. I only half believed him when he said that, but now I see that is true. I wish I could help you but I have learned not to share my thoughts on such subjects."

"I would like to hear your thoughts doctor, if I may?"

Unconsciously, Alex chewed on the corner of her lower lip. She was trying to formulate a way of politely sharing what was in her thoughts. "Johnny is always going to look to you for how to act. He will watch and emulate you. You are his model in life. If you are uncomfortable around women, then he will grow to be so as well. Women are no different than men, I assure you. We seem different only because we have been treated that way. "