Ch.3 A Risk Worth Taking

Hiding behind an elaborate disguise
Yet a costume can't hide the evil in his eyes

"Hello orphans!"Olaf said in a strange yet eerie voice, he looked us all up and down, as if he were looking for something "I think that you guys will be perfect for S.O.R.E. My program for orphans like yourselves. Well except for you two." He motioned towards me and Duncan. " you two on the other hand would do great. You have perfect running legs! I want you two and your sister to come down to the field at sundown to participate in S.O.R.E."

Violet looked sick, Klaus looked petrified and Duncan looked confused. Clearly, Olaf's plan is to capture them when they meet him at the field. Now we need a way to stop it.

The bell rang signaling for us to go to seventh period. Klaus and I booked it to Mr. Wies' classroom. He is our music teacher but instead of learning music we just sit their in silence and take quizzes on Nero's past performances. During that time Klaus and I pass notes.

K: That man was definitely count Olaf. I can't believe he found us again!

I: Yeah, we need to find out what he is planning before it's too late.

K: He wants us to be with him alone tonight to do his program. He is obviously going to try to take us then.

I: I know. I'm thinking that Duncan and I should sneak out from Nero's violin performance to come and watch you.

K: Sorry for asking but how does that prevent him and his associates from taking us.

I: I honestly don't know. All I know is that us Quagmires lost to many people we care about, we aren't going to let Olaf take more. I will attempt to hurt him if he lays a hand on you.

K: I don't want you guys to get hurt. I've lost many people as well, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if you or your brother got into trouble trying to help us.

I: What are friends for?

.............

That night Duncan and I hid underneath the bleachers to watch and protect the Baudelaires. We watched as they ran around a luminous circle for hours, Duncan fell asleep during all of this. Typical. I waited for something, like a car to show up, an attack, or something. Nothing happened. They just ran laps. Klaus told me Olaf has complicated schemes but this one was just confusing. How was running laps useful to him. If anything, it would make them harder to catch.

I felt myself starting to doze off. I heard a cry so my head shot up so suddenly that I didn't even realize I've done it, until my head hit the bleachers with a loud THUNK that is. Count Olaf turned his head towards our hiding spot. My heart was racing I held my breath and dropped next to Duncan and tried to wake him up without him making a noise. I heard people walking on the bleachers above us so finally when Duncan woke up I rolled under the Lowest bleacher and he followed suit.

I lost track of time under there has it been hours? Minutes? Either way we didn't stay there for long. When we were certain Olaf has given up, we moved to our original positions. The Baudelaires were still running laps. Im even more confused. I started to think the laps were to tire them out making them easier to take but soon the sun came up and they were still running! Olaf wouldn't take them in the daytime when everybody could see! Would he?I could already tell that it was going to be a long day.

.............

Klaus fell asleep in Mrs. Bass' classroom twice today already. It's gotten to the point where Mrs. Bass had started to pity him. This is the
same woman that has no problem whacking kids with a meter stick. From what Duncan tells me Violet was acting similarly.  I knew they were looking forward to going to sleep tonight but once again I heard tap shoes come up from behind me and Carmelita sang,

"The Baudelaires must go down,  to the field at sundown. Coach Genghis wants you to do S.O.R.E. AND MY NAME IS CARMELITA!!!!!"

I looked at her. Dumbfounded that she was actually that full of herself. So I said,

"That doesn't even rhyme."

She glared at me and yelled, "ONLY
CAKESNIFFERS CARE ABOUT POETIC FORM!" I rolled my eyes at her as she walked away. But the Baudelaire children looked depressed about having to run laps again. I felt so bad for them.

Days went by like this. We would watch our friends run laps, be unbelievably exhausted, fail tests, then be told by Carmelita that they would be doing it again. It's dreadful. So Duncan and I decided by the third night to do tons of research on the count so maybe,if we are lucky, we can stop him.

What we found was unbelievable. V.F.D. Duncan wrote down billions of notes and I drew tons of pictures, graphs, and timelines. We knew eventually our research would come in handy.

.............

Lunch that day wasn't great. Sunny fell asleep, Klaus was getting snappy, and Violet was eerily quiet. I decided now was a good time to talk about the research Duncan and I collected. I scrambled to grab my notebook and in the rush the half of a spyglass rolled on the floor. It caught Klaus' eye and he asked,

"What is that" he started to grab at his coat pocket. "Can I see it for a moment?" I obliged and handed him the rusting thing. From his pocket he pulled something almost identical to mine. Clicked them together and held in his hand a complete spyglass. Twists and knobs ran along the sides but what interested me most was the end of Klaus' half of the spyglass. It was an eye, and it looked like my silver pin. Now I was confused. Maybe I should look at my notes more.

"Hello cakesniffers I have a message for the Baudelaires!" Carmelita said from behind me. "You are so dumb that you failed nine tests this past week between the two of you, not to mention Sunny hasn't been doing great with her job lately. So tomorrow morning you will get to take exams! If you fail you will be expelled and fired. Coach Genghis has offered to homeschool you idiots himself. Have fun!" She skipped away.

"That was his plan! How could've I been so dumb! Ugh!" Klaus was furious. "There is no way we can pass that exam, we have no time to study when we do laps!" I nodded and Violet tied her hair up with a ribbon. "He can take us easily!"

"Calm down klaus I have a plan." She looked towards us sympathetically, "we are going to need your help, it might put you in danger." She explained how we could take their spots and pull a sack of flour for Sunny. We give them our notes so they can study. So then they will be prepared and be able to stay here so we can put an end to Olaf. She stopped many times to explain she doesn't want to make us feel like we have to do this and that it would be dangerous. Duncan and I were all for it, we will do whatever it takes to keep them safe. It's a risk worth taking and I always keep my promises.

The perfect plan to save the day
But sadly it goes the wrong way

A/N
Thank you for reading. If you know any good ASOUE fan fictions let me know! Sorry that this chapter is shorter. Make sure to vote, comment, and share!

Xoxo,
Your Author