twenty-two

"Hey," Lifen accompanied me to the bathroom as I felt tears running down my face. "Sorry you had to hear that."

"It's okay," I wiped my face. "Better to have heard it now than be late."

She patted my back, "Mingzhu, did you somehow, fell for Yanchen? After all that fake couple thing, did you?"

I looked at Lifen with teary eyes, "No."

She slowly nodded. I can see it in her face she was debating whether to speak or not.

"I know what you're gonna say," I proceeded to talk. "You think I'm lying?"

"No, I believe you." She whispered. "If you tell me you don't. Then you don't. But I hope you're telling yourself the truth, Mingzhu. Because we're friends and I don't want to see you get hurt."

I listened as Lifen said that to me in a sincere manner. She really is something. I don't want to get hurt any further anyway and if Yanchen still likes his ex, there's only one thing to do.

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

I walked towards the person who can end this silly little act I started. Li Shuzhen.

"Hi, Mingzhu," She smiled at me as I smiled back. "What brings you here?"

"Can we talk about something?" I asked, sitting down in front of her. I asked to meet her at a cafe.

She furrowed her eyebrows, "Is that something starts with a Zhou in his name?"

I nodded, "I think you two need to get back together."

Shuzhen was bit surprised by my statement. She leaned in, "Did Yanchen tell you to tell me? Usually, he's the one asking but this is the first time one of his girls ask."

I bit my lip, "Please. I know you still like him, Shuzhen."

She sighed, "I did, but I don't know about now. I mean it's been two months. Believe me when I tell you this has been our longest break up ever since we started dating."

"But can't you like, give him another chance?"

"He's been given chances loads of time. He's just not that good with relationships."

I slumped back on my chair. I really need her to go back to Yanchen because if I say I want to break up, he won't allow it because he doesn't have Shuzhen back. Well now, he can't say no.

"I'm telling you, he's changed," I tried to persuade her again. "He's really good right now, I think he wanted to come back as a mature man for you."

Shuzhen tilted her head, "Well, I guess I could check for myself or something."

I stood up, like I just achieved something, "Great! Meet us in the park, tomorrow night."

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

"This is your third cone," Yanchen comments. "Aren't you getting tired of eating ice cream?"

I sent him a mean look, "I'm trying to remove the taste of your lips. You're a kiss stealer!"

"I apologized!" He exclaimed.

"If you apologize, will it remove the taste? No, right?"

He started to lean in, "How about I kiss you again -"

"Go away, Yanchen!" I said, pushing him away. "Stop grossing me out,"

"You are so over dramatic. Literally."

He slumped back on the park bench. I looked at him, trying not to release any tears. Yanchen wasn't the perfect fake boyfriend. Sure, we had our ups and downs, but I had fun with him.

I felt like this was all real. That this wasn't an act. For the first time in my life, I felt the feeling of being loved by a boyfriend. I felt confident when he encourages me to chase my dream.

I feel the rushing of my heart everytime he walks near me or casually holds my hand. I feel like everything's in place when we're together.

But sooner or later, things are meant to fall apart.

He must've noticed because he turned his head around. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Because I'm going to break up with you.

"Let's stop this." I said, standing up. "Ruibin's happy with Lifen anyway and you need to go back to Shuzhen."

Yanchen stood up and I heard his voice crack, "Y-you want to break up?"

"It's for the best. Goodbye, Yanchen," I quickly answered. I didn't dare look back because if I do I might not have the strength to walk away.

"M-mingzhu," I heard my name being called out and footsteps were following behind. A hand grabbed my wrist and pulled me back. "Don't. Please."

"Yanchen, let me go," I muttered, letting the tears fall.

He wrapped his arms around me from behind. The tears continued falling and I couldn't utter a single word.

"Mingzhu, can we talk this out? Please. I knew we started as a fake couple but don't deny that you haven't felt anything, because I did."

I bit my lip as Bangbang's words rang in my ear. "If you're going to be Yanchen's fake girlfriend, don't believe anything he says. He's going to lure you in until he gets Shuzhen back. That's what he does to his girls."

I removed his arms from my waist, not minding the tears that were on my neck cause by Yanchen crying.

I turned around to look at him. He was already a mess and his face was full of shock and nervousness.

"Goodbye, Zhou Yanchen."

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

thank you all so much for your messages!

I wrote until chapter 25 and I might post it later tonight.

I think my sister's really helping me finish this story because I'm getting a bit inspired 😇💛