Chapter 1

Welcome to the re-vamped version of Front Page News! The original story that this version is based off of will remain on my FanFiction page and will not be altered. Go follow my Instagram page at stories_elking7541 for sneak peeks, updates, and contests! I hope you all enjoy this first chapter! :) 

I could feel the fresh cut on my finger throbbing as my car veered into the school parking lot. I had never once been late to a class, and I did not plan on ruining my perfect record because of a faulty alarm clock. I jumped out of the car and glared at the broken door handle on my driver's door, the cause of my injured finger. 

The seven textbooks, dispersed between my hands and backpack, dropped out of my grasp at least one time each before I was finally able to enter the building. The silent hallways told me that classes had already begun, the only noise being that of my ballet flats on the ceramic tile. 

"You have got to be kidding me," I muttered to myself as I threw a few books into my locker. I performed the walk of shame as I entered the office, the secretary, Mrs. Dickson, shaking her head at my tardiness. She was a petite woman with silver hair, and glasses connected to a jeweled chain so that she would not lose them. 

"I never thought I would see the day that Lizzie Robinson is late for a class. Something tragic must have happened this morning to make you late," she said as she handed me a late slip. 

"Yes, Mrs. Dickson, something tragic did happen this morning.....to my alarm clock. The funeral will be this afternoon." I could faintly hear her giggle as I made my way to class. 

"Ah Lizzie, bienvenidos, welcome. Good of you to finally join us," my Spanish teacher said as I snuck into the classroom. I could feel an abundance of stares piercing into me as I quietly took my seat. I glanced over at my best friend, Emma, who was trying with all of her might to hold in a laugh. I would not hear the end of this for as long as I live. 

"Alright, a few announcements before we continue. I know you have all heard the rumors about Lucas Callum visiting our campus today for the annual Cancer walk, and meeting with our very own Cancer survivor, Anita, as well. The media will be present for the event, and we expect you all to remember that you are representations of our school, so, please, contain yourselves."

Ah the infamous Lucas Callum. He's a nineteen year old movie actor who shot his way to fame at seventeen through his YouTube channel. He was diagnosed with leukemia at age twelve, and decided to document the entirety of his battle to encourage other patients to keep fighting. Five years later he was in remission and beginning his movie career. Today, he is every girl's heartthrob. Well, except mine. I could care less, honestly. I'd rather read books than watch movies.  

"Do any of you have any questions before we move on?"

My eyes immediately shot over to the opposite side of the room, because I knew that as soon as our teacher could finish her last word, a tan colored hand would shoot up into the air, and a high-pitched squeal would soon fill the room.

"Will we all get to meet Lucas, as well?!" I was right. 

"I'm sorry to say that you will not, Madeline. Anita won the right to a formal meet-and-greet with Lucas, and the student body will only be attending the event to support the cause," our teacher replied. Madeline furrowed her perfectly manicured eyebrows, her arms crossed, and her plump lips settled into a frown. Entitled. That was the only word I knew to describe her. For years, she enjoyed nothing more than flaunting her wealth to the entirety of the school. She was the stereotypical 'mean girl.' Every school has them. 

Don't misunderstand me, though, she was actually quite smart, but used her knowledge only to manipulate others. She was tall, curvy, and naturally tan-skinned with dark cayenne hair to match. I stayed out of her way. From preschool until fourth grade she never thought much of me, but when I 'stole' her jersey number in little league soccer, she never forgave me. As our schooling progressed she began to take more notice of my nerdy attitude and quiet personality. I guess picking on me gave her something to do with her life.