Chaoter Twelve|Koi No Yokan

[koi no yokan: the feeling that once upon meeting a person, you two are destined to fall in love]

Oswald stood alone among the people's voices and lights and music, waiting for Edward. He remembered the last time he'd done this, strange it occurred in this exact place too. Back during his inaugural party, Oswald remembered waiting for Edward, lonely, and when Edward finally did show, Butch tried to kill them both and Edward saved him, Oswald saved him in turn... The night he realized he loved Edward.

It was indeed different now... But Edward's amnesia began to feel like a do-over. Which was awful for Oswald to look at it in that light, he knew, but it did. He wouldn't think about that for tonight, promising he'd just allow himself to have fun. He hadn't really just enjoyed himself in a while. Hopefully tonight wouldn't be stressful.

Unfortunately he'd seen Jim Gordon once already, luckily neither of them made an effort to approach each other. He'd spotted Bruce Wayne a few times, and Barbara said she'd be able to make it at some point. Other than them he didn't care for anyone else here.

Zsasz had taken the role as a bouncer which was fine with Oswald (who wasn't exactly happy with their previous conversation). Edward, at least at this point, was very sweet but that didn't make him feeble or naïve. Both Zsasz and Oswald knew Edward was capable of becoming Riddler, who was the exact opposite. Oswald also knew Zsasz liked giving Edward a hard time, so he tried not to dwell on it.

Oswald turned in time to see Edward step down from the residential area if the Iceberg Lounge. Edward was dressed in a dark green velvet blazer, which must've been a size or two too tight, to Oswald's... Excitement. Matching green velvet dress pants, white button down shirt, white tie and a single white rose placed on his chest. His hair was slicked back, not as dramatically as the Riddler would wear it, but similar.

Oswald nervously bit his lip as Edward approached, heart rate increasing. "You look really..." He struggled for a word that wasn't too hinting, "good."

Edward narrowed his eyes confidently. "As do you." He circled Oswald slightly.

Oswald spotted Jim Gordon yet again, who was obviously watching Oswald before becoming very interested in his wine glass. Oswald scowled, regretting having invited James, but knowing he probably would have shown up anyway.

Edward sensed Oswald's discomfort, leaning in closer to him. "Everything ok?"

Oswald took a deep breath. "Yes. I just... James Gordon is a pain in the ass."

Edward leaned in even closer, brushing cheeks with Oswald. "Don't let the mere sight of him ruin your night..." He trailed off as if about to continue, stopping abruptly. Can't call him baby, sweetheart, honey... Edward thought, annoyed their relationship was still platonic. He cleared his throat. "Just relax."

Oswald broke his sights from Jim, turning to Edward. "You're right, I know I shouldn't," he paused, glancing around the lounge, "however, it's been a stressful week, I do need a drink."

Edward backed away, towering over Oswald. "Don't worry, I'll get it... Red wine I'm assuming?"

"You know me so well." Oswald said quietly, watching Edward step away.

As the music being played in the lounge over speakers changed, Edward suddenly stopped dead in his tracks. He glanced frantically around the club, a look of confusion on his face.

Oswald, of course, noticed this, taking a few steps closer to Edward. "Are you... Alright?"

Edward squinted, puzzled. "This song."

Oswald tried to focus on it, recognizing it as Wake Up Alone by Amy Winehouse. Classic depressing love song. So what? "What about it?"

"I feel like I've heard it before..." Edward said, as if he was having an epiphany. "Have you ever... Sang this to me?" Oswald started to notice a faint blush creeping over Edward's face.