29. Living

How to Survive a Winter Formal by Riley Matthews

1. Do not tell your dad that the boy who works for your family is not just your date but also your boyfriend

2. Do not assume your best friend will have the decency not to have sex with your uncle the night before

3. Ignore Missy Bradford and any drinks in her hands

4. Remember life is short and live life to the fullest

~ 💟 ~

Waking up the day of the formal my biggest fear is that my dad will see right through my lie.

I knee I had to tell him that Lucas was my date to the dance on account of him being a chaperone but I also knew that I couldn't tell him that he was accompanying me as anything more than a friend.

I'm sitting in the kitchen with a bowl of cereal in front of me when my dad walks into the room. "Morning princess."

I smile. "Morning daddy. Can we uh talk a sec?"

"Sure. What's on your mind?" he asks as he leans against the counter across from me.

I decide to play it cool and attempt not to fidget. If I was calm he'd have no reason to think something was up.

"It's about tonight. The uh formal."

Well so much for not fidgeting. Get it together!

"What about it?" he asks skeptically. I suppose this would be a lot easier if my father didn't hate my boyfriend.

"Well, Josh is here as Maya's date and since she's sorta my only friend here besides Lucas he kinda offered to be my date tonight."

My dad quirks an eyebrow at me. "Your date? He asked you out?"

I shake my head. "No not like on a date. He just-he's basically saving me from third wheeling all night. It's completely innocent." As innocent as his trip to third base in my bedroom on my birthday.

My dad sighs. "I suppose I can't keep you from being the boy's friend and it's nice of him to offer to be your date tonight. You can go but if I find out-."

"Daddy I swear there is nothing going on. I promise."

He smiles. "Okay princess."

I squeal in excitement, jumping off my chair and kissing him on the cheek before rushing to the guest bedroom. I had to tell Josh.

"Hey Uncle Jo-." I begin but I stop in my tracks when I spot my best friend wrapped in nothing but a sheet.

The floor is covered in clothing and it's clear that my uncle and best friend have crossed that line into intimacy.

"Oh hey Riles" Josh blushes as he walks in from the bathroom.

"You had-?" I trail off and he chuckles

"Kiddo it wasn't my first time" he explains simply.

"Not mine either" Maya grumbles as her eyes flutter open and lock on mine. "Morning sunshine" she greets me. "Babe I'm gonna shower" she adds as she climbs out of bed and pads over to the bathroom.