Chapter 22: Lost Soul

Começar do início

My heart clenched - and not in the good way. I opened my mouth, but the flimsy words seemed to lodge in my throat, then dropped back to where it had came from. I almost forgot what I was about to say. Yet, was there even a point in reiterating what I had thought? Things had reached a point where my opinion was nothing but a shout into the void.

A moment of silence passes over us - which would particularly be awkward - but with a heart that thudded painfully against my chest, I couldn't care less. It was then that he said it, and the hollowness in his words makes my heart ache with a twinge of hope.

"You could kill me now, seconds before I had a chance to retaliate. And you could run away before the world catches you," he comments, scanning my face so discreetly, I thought I had imagined it. "So why don't you? Why don't you just kill me now?"

I shook my head frantically, a small sad smile playing at my lips. There was nothing remotely teasing about the glint in my eye when I spoke.

"Keep in mind that people don't have to live up to society's expectations." I watched as he became silent, as if he were rendered speechless. I knew he was listening to every word I said, drinking it all in. I wondered if my own words could ever cross the sea of pain that I'd isolated myself in, though I dismissed my questioning thoughts.

"Everyone sees me as a monster, a bomb threatening to combust at any given time. And really, it makes me wonder what it was about society that created facades for everyone, made us different people from who we really were," my smile falters, "but that doesn't mean I have to be the dangerous hybrid they think I am."

I inhaled a shaky breath and the atmosphere was unreadable, foreign. I felt his grip on me slacken and all at once, I was filled with an emotion akin to relief. Even though the secret was out; that my identity was exposed, I finally knew I had a shot at truly living if I didn't end up on the wrong side of the road again.

If I just proved my worth to them, just like I did to the guard, my desire to finally be treated normally would be fulfilled. So, I smiled and shut my eyes, ignorant to the risk of what's to come as we walked to our destination.

❧ ✶ ❧

Just as the sun hit the horizon, painting the sky into a beautiful image of reality, the guard brought me to an abandoned warehouse - where the meeting would be held. I trudged along behind him rather reluctantly, my fear slowly eating away from me. Now and then, he'd throw backward glances, just to make sure I haven't scurried off.

Though, I didn't because I needed to stand my ground, prove to the Council that I was an ally, not a threat.

"Just step ahead through the door, they should be in there by now," he informs turning to look at me. "Are you ready?"

"I don't think I'll ever be ready," I mused, eyes glued to the daunting building before me. A laugh escapes my lips, and it's a humorless, eerie. I slowly, tentatively wound my arms around myself, an indication I was much too apprehensive and nervous for my own good. "But, I guess that doesn't really matter now, does it?"

Silence ensued and I figured it was time to enter what could be the turning point in my life. Allowing my words to linger in the still air, I strode forward, feeling the heavy, intent stare of the guard's eyes burning two holes into my back until I was nothing but inches away from the door.

"Ms. Taken, wait."

The balls of my feet skid to a halt, shoulders tense.

"I'm sorry," the guard says. His voice is tinged with desperation, as if he were saying the apology while holding onto an edge of a cliff. "I misjudged you, and I'm sorry. You're nothing like they said you were."