Chapter 24 - Neriah

En başından başla

"It's time," Ada tells him as she enters his room and finds him in bed, coiled into a ball with his back to her.

"Oh, not again." He whines like a little child and cuddles the pillow closer to himself.

"The service is almost beginning," she informs him, "you've got to get ready, and don't forget that fixing the funeral service to today was your idea."

"I remember, but I'm not ready to say goodbye. You can go on without me." He replies, not bothering to turn and look at her.

"You can't be absent; if not anything, she was your wife, and this isn't what she would have wanted-"

He springs up instantly at her words and turns to her, eyes red from much sobbing and filled with pain, frustration and anger as they stare at her, "'If I die today, I want you to live the life I never could and be happy for us. Don't forget to remember me and I'll always love you' Those were her last words to me, but how would she know how hard it is to live without her? She isn't here! She's gone and I can't say goodbye when I'm not ready to let her go. And don't tell me it isn't what she would have wanted because there are lots of things she wanted too, like going on a honeymoon, having children and getting old, but she couldn't have that."

Not willing to argue anymore Ada says, "Fine, I can't make you do what you're not ready to do son, but you have to pay your last respect so she can be laid to rest this is the last time you'll get to do this."

He doesn't want to; it hurts to do anything, but he knows she's right; this is something he knows he owes her and it's her last respect. "Give me five minutes to change." He replies and Ada nods and steps out of his room.

Thirty minutes later,

The funeral is being held at the Calvary faith church in a small and private service. A private funeral would keep the noises out, especially the reporters who have no respect for mourners and are only making the news this way. Only family and very close friends would be present.

A few people are present, Neriah's family members and some come over from Jos, her place of birth. Shawn and his girlfriend Vera, a few of Neriah's family friends and extended families.

The service had already begun when Cainan arrives as he notices the priest reading the bible and giving a little exultation from it.

Cainan fits himself into one of the back seats quietly as he arrives, not wanting to make a scene that would bring disorientation to the small service.

After the priest ends his exaltation, he steps down, and it's time for the families and friends to say their last words to the dead.

A few unknown faces say a few things about Neriah and as Cainan stares at them, he wonders if they even knew Neriah or if they were only around because Neriah was no longer a poor nobody when she died and are now hoping to get something from the grieving family.

Neriah told him a few things about her family when she yet lived and never for once mentioned the distant family members. If they'd been around all this while, why did they not help? Why didn't they come to help? Why now? Fucking why now?!

Cainan feels Ada's hands on his' and he looks down to see his hands have now balled into a hard fist, but at her touch, he releases it.

The next people saying their goodbyes were Neriah's family and Cainan can still see the pain on their faces even as they all try to mask it up.

"Aren't you going to say your goodbyes?" Ada asks, turning to look at Cainan, whose eyes are still glued to the floor of the church.

"Even if I don't want to?"