00

Prologue:

A small girl threaded another flower into her growing daisy chain, humming a happy tune as her best friend looked on, a bemused expression crossing her face.

"You're making a daisy chain?" she observed, leaning over curiously.

"Mhm! A big one!"

“How many flowers is that now?” she asked, attempting to count the flowers, but the smaller girl shook her head, laughing.

“I'm not telling you!” she stuck her tongue out cheekily, holding the flowers away playfully.

“Why not?” she attempted to grab the flower chain gently, but the taller girl was held back by a small hand that pushed her away.

“I'm not telling you, I'm not telling you!” the girl laughed even harder, threading another daisy through a small dent in a flower’s stem.

She sighed. “Then you leave me no choice…” she reached over, causing the girl to squeal and protect her flower chain, but instead she took a small hair clip out of her fringe.

“If you want your clip back, you have to tell me!” she bargained, stifling a laugh as a long strand covered the other girl's right eye.

“H-hey! Don't take my clip! Give it back!” she made a grab for the small, red clip, but ended up missing, the momentum of her movement causing her to tip over and land on her friend’s lap.

“You could've just told me how many flowers there were!” Natsuki looked up to see Yuri giggling, holding the clip out of her reach.

She stood up, faking anger as she went on her tiptoes. “No fair, Yuri! You can't take my clip!” she jumped to no effect, sullenly reaching for her clip as her pink fringe obscured half of her vision.

“Tell me how many flowers there are!” Yuri countered, giggling harder at Natsuki’s pointless attempts to grab her clip.

“But it's a secreeeet!” Natsuki whined, as an idea crossed her mind. She pushed herself upwards and pulled a small, magenta hair slide out of Yuri’s hair.

“Hey! Natsuki!” Yuri laughed, making a swipe for it, but ended up missing as Natsuki ducked under her arm, grabbed the daisy chain and bolted for it.

"You can't have your clip now until you give me my clip!" she shouted over her shoulder, as she started to descend down the hill. The flower chained waved behind her, whipping left from right as Natsuki sped away.

Yuri started to chase after her, keeping the clip tightly in her hand. "I'm not giving you the clip until I know the number!" she giggled.

"But I'm not telling you the number, because it's a secret!" Yuri could almost hear the massive grin that she knew was spread across Natsuki's features.

"Then you're not getting the clip back! It's my clip now!"

Natsuki stopped and turned around, opening her mouth to say something. "Then how about we-"

She was cut off as she lost her balance and rolled down the rest of the hill. Luckily, it was a small hill, meaning that she wouldn't hurt herself badly.

She sat up dizzily, her hair tinted green from the grass and her clothes dirtied from the muddy ground. A shell-shocked expression crossed her face for a second before she began to giggle uncontrollably. Yuri thought she almost sounded drunk.

Not that she knew what drunk meant.

"Are you okay?" she asked uncertainly. Natsuki replied with a large, cheerful nod.