Chapter four.

“Hey!” I called. “Hey, you! That’s mine.”

“Stop” I kept going, but he just ignored me. So I raced towards him with the wheeling chair, I was just getting used to.

 The room’s floor had all types of games, and toys scattered all over it. A couple of kids were running around and the nurses were trying to get hold of them, and stop them. Because running around in a hospital teen room while you’re probably somehow injured, is not the safest thing to do.

“I said, stop.” I started to say, placing a hand on the boy’s shoulder.

"That’s min...” I gaped before I could finish what I had to say.

 The boy who was holding my phone, was sat on the floor with my phone in his hands. He had a heavy set of green eyes that had a hint of blue in them. His face features couldn’t make him look any better. Even the crooked nose he had, the pale looking skin and the new growing beard, that matched his honey blonde hair. He had earphones plugged into his ears -The reason why he wasn’t responding to my protests-. My eyes followed the way of their thin string and led me back to my phone. He was listening to my songs.

 “Amber.” He stated, in confusion.

 That's right we knew each other. The boy was also an old classmate. I remember having a lot of classes shared with him since freshmen.

 He took his time checking me out. Usually, I would blush, look away or say something around these lines; ‘My eyes are up here’. But I didn’t do any of that. I knew the reason his eyes were scanning my body was the fact that I was in a wheelchair. With no sling or other visible injury, it didn’t take a genius to guess what was wrong.

 “I heard what happened. I’m really sorry for your lost, and for-for-for…yeah.” He stuttered, looking straight at me with pitied eyes.

Trying my best to hide the sadness that took over my facial expressions, I looked away and stated;

 “That’s my phone.”

 He smiled sheepishly, offering me back my phone with one hand and scratching the back of his head with the other.

 “Yeah, I know. I was just…listening to. On my way to give it back to you, but…I. Sorry.” He stuttered again, not knowing what to say.

 I was used to it now. Making people uncomfortable while talking to me was now my specialty. Every time someone talked to me; they would crack up and start crying. Look around for anyone to get them out of a very awkward silence. Or start saying things without making any sense.

Talking to handicap was hard. People were afraid of using the wrong words and hurting me.

 Not baring anymore of it, I snatched my phone from his hands and turned around to leave. Before I could make it to the door I was suddenly stopped. Someone was holding me back, so I couldn’t go forward.

 “Please don’t leave. I’m sorry I was acting like an antisocial teenager. I didn’t mean to.” He apologized.

 I turned around, looked up to face him and questioned him with a very stern look on my face. He looked sincere enough to be given a second chance. So I gave him one.

 We made it to my room in a very comfortable silence. None of us was trying to say anything yet. He helped me lay down on my bed and sat down on the chair beside it.

 “Where’s your family?” He asked, looking around the room, but not for them. He was more trying to get a good look of it.  

 “My dad’s at work, mom’s gone home to get some of my stuff and Chris is somewhere in the cafeteria down stairs.” I said in one breath.