Ch. 16: The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

Comenzar desde el principio

I suppose love is quite a powerful emotion, yet I never registered how immense that influence was until I met Levi.

~*~

Mira, to my amazement, had found herself in a slump when it came to initiating a conversation with a man. The victim being Eren, of course, and word choice indicating that Mira embodied the traits of a majestic lioness, always on the prowl for her fill of gazelle. It just so happened that Eren was the swiftest of them, and attempting to chase after the tanned male was a tiresome endeavor for one as energetic as Mira.

She sulked and whined as we strode to my office, brimming with such despair that it would put an emotional teenager to shame. Although it depressed me greatly to watch her pine after a man and berate herself for being the opposite of her usual demeanor, it was nice to see her pour her heart out to me, and I felt obliged to listen to every detail. She was was a close friend of mine, after all.

Upon entering my sunlit office, Mira instantly halted her chattering, and instead gasped and pointed towards my desk. "What is that?" she announced, flabbergasted by some intriguing object in the room.

Her reaction was quite natural to the situation, as I too, widened my eyes and stared at the item, mouth agape in shock. There, adorned with a pale pink ribbon, sat a bouquet of white lilies in a round, crystal vase. "Wow," I breathed at the stunning flora. "Wonder who went to the trouble of doing this . . . "

"Do you think it was Levi?" Mira inquired, her right index pressed to her bottom lip and left hand cupping her opposite elbow. "I mean, he does know that your favorite flowers are lilies."

"It couldn't be him, he's at the courthouse as we speak." I crossed my arms flat across my chest. "He barely had enough time to for his everyday rituals, so he can automatically be eliminated from the suspects."

"Erwin?" Mira blurted out quizzically.

"Perhaps . . . " I deadpanned, voice wavering when I curved my head out the window facing the inner building. Behind the secretarial desk walls, a mop of chestnut hair peeked from the wooden barriers, then flinched and hastily disappeared from sight.

My lips curled into a smirk and I turned back to Mira, cattily adding, "I think I know who the culprit is."

Mira, perplexed at my commentary on the subject, arched a blonde brow, only for it to falter seconds later when another individual entered my office. Both Mira and I spun around to greet them, meeting a man much taller than us with eyes that ebbed like the riveting waves of an ocean. Even though this was the same man who had degraded my pride and stalked after me like bountiful prey, I had to admit that Erwin looked quite handsome in just a white button-down shirt, tie, and dark slacks.

"I was told to bring this to you," Erwin stated, outstretching a folded piece of paper to me.

"Oh," I mumbled, retrieving the slip with my index and middle finger. "Th-thanks, Erwin."

The Aryan male simply nodded and proceeded to leave without another word, my sight impulsively resting on his broad shoulders and straightened posture that accentuated his backside. Sighing, I glanced back at Mira, who inquisitively asked, "What's going on with you and him."

"Forget about it, it's nothing, really," I answered, gaze accidentally slipping back at Erwin as his figure diminished from beyond the glass.

Mira sneered, utterly baffled. "Really? Because my sexual tension radar is off the charts when you two are within close proximity of each other."

I gasped, cheeks slightly burning and fingers unintentionally clutching the note with more force than intended. "How . . . How could I hold sexual tension for that arrogant simpleton! If you ask me, someone should push him off the rooftop while his smart-ass is sipping on expensive wine!"