20

Being back in the city was like being reborn and coming home at the same time.

Kurt happily floated through the drive and the parade of boxes marching up the service stairs and into the loft he and Remy had lived in while they were dating. Despite that association, Kurt loved the place; he had made good memories there-he loved the layout and the location as much as he loved the person he'd been then. Knowing Remy would never step foot inside the loft again helped maintain the fondness of his recollections.

Sam, an associate of Remy's Kurt had always liked and was then aware of his and Blaine's relationship had been revealed to Kurt as the second undercover ATF agent. Sam frequently accompanied Remy on business trips, so his assistance with Kurt's move drew no attention. When the moving men finished, Sam stayed behind with Kurt. He swept the loft from top to bottom, and after he declared the place safe, Kurt convinced him to stay for dinner (the delivery process gave him security concerns, but the lure of pepperoni helped smooth things over).

They waited anxiously for news of Remy's arrest. Around ten o'clock, Kurt suggested Sam make himself comfortable on the sofa for the night. Sam politely accepted, but insisted he would not go to sleep until he was relieved by the back-up agent Blaine had assigned to cover for him, should that become necessary.

They sat on the sofa drinking coffee to keep Sam awake.

"Blaine's an amazing agent." Sam's eyelids were dipping. "He's got all the good stuff, charm and smarts, but he also really cares, you know? He's always super invested in his cases."

Kurt's neck grew hot. "I've noticed."

"Oh." Sam looked vacantly concerned. "I didn't mean it like, he always gets involved-no, no, man-"

"It's okay." Kurt laughed. "I know what you meant. And I know how Blaine feels about me."

"He loves you a lot." Sam smiled. "It's a good thing. I'm happy for you guys."

In between one pot of coffee and the next, they fell asleep on the couch together.