24

Kurt's half-run of the show was wildly successful. His agent managed to turn his life with Remy into a massive and-most importantly-free streak of publicity that worked in, not against, his favor. Before long he was hip-deep in book and movie deal offers-none of which he accepted, but whose rejections also worked in his favor, making the industry that much hungrier for his work-and could take his pick of theater gigs. Doors were opening for him left, right, and center, and none of that cost him his freedom or integrity.

His relationship with Blaine was kept quiet, at least in the beginning. They wanted some measure of privacy as they got to know one another. That didn't last, of course-it only took a few paparazzi photos and tabloid stories to garner them the attention they didn't want, and once the part Blaine had played in Kurt's ordeal was revealed, the romantic side of the tragedy took Kurt's fan base by storm. There was a fresh surge of interest in turning their story into a film, television series, or novel. Kurt came up with brand new ways of saying no without actually saying no (his agent's words, not his).

Blaine attended Kurt's closing night openly, sitting front row center with flowers in his hands and a smile on his lips. When Kurt thanked Blaine briefly at the end of his closing speech the audience went wild. As Kurt walked off the stage, he could almost feel videos being uploaded to hundreds of YouTube accounts.

After making an appearance at the wrap party, Blaine took him out for a private dinner.

"I don't know, sir," Kurt said, in playful protest. "Should I be keeping you up this late? You have class tomorrow."

Blaine had gone back to school to finish his performing arts degree. They'd argued for weeks about finances until Kurt had grown tired of the banter. The portion of Remy's estate Kurt had inherited after the case had been settled in court was enough to support them both for a very long time. Kurt asked Blaine to swallow his pride and let him take care of things for once. Blaine hadn't breathed a word to the contrary since.

"That's a terrible shame, because my plans for us this evening extend into the wee hours." Blaine twirled him around the private patio they were dining on-it wasn't much of a dance floor, but Blaine made any space worth dancing in.

"Ambitious," Kurt said.

"Mm. Confident."

"Presumptuous."

Blaine kissed his neck. "Experienced."

Kurt laughed, his face growing hot. He couldn't argue with that. Blaine had become creative during the convalescent period of his recovery, inventing new ways to satisfy him without bothering his wound.

"I think you win," Kurt whispered in his ear.

Blaine kissed him, soft and slow. "I think we both win."