Chapter 6

1843 words

12:04am
Sunday March 14, 1965
Tulsa, OK

Y/n pov

"Y/n" Soda's warm breath fanned my neck as I awoke. I lifted my head off of its comfortable resting place on his shoulder. How did Soda get here? I thought.

If I could remember correctly, I fell asleep near the end of the second movie. I remember Dallas being next to me, not Soda. Maybe I'm still tired and need time to process everything.

"Hey Soda" I greeted him with a yawn. He grinned and removed his arm from around my shoulder before we stood up. I scanned over the rows of seats around me, but failed to find Dallas.

"Where's Dally?" I asked Sodapop curiously, as we proceeded to walk away from our seats.

"He split during the last movie. I think he went to Buck's"

I nodded. I looked around at the boys surrounding me. With Steve and Dallas gone, it was only Pony, Johnny, Two-bit, and Soda left. I continued to sip on my coke as we left the Nighty Double. We continued along the sidewalk until we came close to the boys' neighbourhood. Johnny looked down shamefully as we approached his house.

"Hey Johnny, ain't ya gonna go in?" Two-bit gestured towards the house, which was filled with noise. Johnny shook his head.

"No. My folks have been fightin' pretty bad all day, I think I'm just gonna sleep out in the lot"

It all made sense to me now, why Johnny is so quiet and nervous all the time. You could hear his parents fighting from a mile away. I can't imagine what it must be like for him. My heart sank.

"Johnny, you can come stay at my house tonight if ya want. I'm gonna be alone anyways" I proposed sympathetically. He looked unsure.

"Come on, you'd freeze to death if ya stayed out here" I wasn't kidding, it was incredibly windy tonight. Johnny nodded slowly.

"Okay" he grinned shyly.

"I'm gonna split, take it easy" Two-bit announced, walking around the corner of Johnny's house. We said goodbye to him before he left into the night. We walked a couple minutes more until we reached the Curtis' house. Soda turned to Johnny and I as we approached the truck.

"You guys want a ride home?" Soda offered. I looked at Johnny, then nodded.

"Sure, thanks Soda" I hopped into the back with Johnny. Pony stood awkwardly outside the vehicle.

"Hey Pony, wanna tag along?" Soda looked toward him. Ponyboy shrugged.

"Might as well"

I shifted closer to Johnny so Ponyboy could fit in the back with us. The twenty minute drive home was fairly silent, since we were all too tired to talk. I hardly paid attention to the glorious night sky, the stars white and luminous. Sodapop turned onto my street, and pulled into the driveway a moment later. Johnny and I thanked him.

"No problem, see y'all around" Soda declared.

"Bye Ponyboy" I kissed his cheek softly, and although it was dark, I could tell he was smiling.

"Goodnight Y/n" he said through a wide smile. Johnny and I went up the driveway, and waved at the brothers one last time before entering the house.

Ponyboy pov

I guess Soda didn't notice my obvious smile, and the fact that my cheeks were on fire, since he didn't make any remarks. I stayed quiet.

We sat in silence for a while, until we hit a red light at an intersection. Soda tilted the mirror so he could check up on me. I saw a smirk reach his face when he noticed my blushing cheeks.