Chapter 2

"Feel Like I'm Drowning" Two Feet

Ethan's P.O.V.

After the endless, yet necessary questions and concerns the pack had about the damned war approaching, I waited as everyone had either headed to their rooms or departed for the shelter. I decided it was time I followed in suit and headed off to get the little hours of sleep left in the night.

As I was about to walk into my room, I heard the whimpers that I sadly knew all too well.

I walked into the room as quietly possible, to ensure that all was secure and safe in the fitful slumber. I saw the tightly wound figure curled into a tight ball. That ball was shaking and whimpering, tears streaking the pale face. Every night this was a common occurrence. While some nights are better than the others, they were all the same.

I walked to Alex's side, moving the sweat matted, black hair from his face. I couldn't help but to be concerned, it really can't be healthy living in fear every time his eyes closed.

I backed out of his room, before I could risk waking him, and headed to my own.

I quickly took a shower, rinsing off the grime from the forest earlier and the sweat that clung to my taunt mussels. Stepping out of the now steamed room, leaving a trail of small water drops on the hard wood floors beneath, while I dried my head. Sliding between the rough sweets I was glad to finally relax my muscles into the mattress.

Before sleep could claim me the endless thoughts about the daunting attacks ahead, the risks and the unpredictable number of casualties, the past Alpha, my Father, and then lastly, as sleep finally consumed me, my thoughts went to Alex.

I woke with a start. Dazed for a split second before pin-pointing the source. A scream. From across the hall. Alex.

I sprung from the bead as quick, as if stung from a creature. Yanking on a pair of shorts I raced across the short distance, through the doors.

In his small room, cowering in the furthest corner, shaking with such force the bed was rattled even. I approached cautiously, to not frighten him anymore. He looked up terrified, his piercing lightning blue eyes stinging me to the core. I spoke softly,

"Al, it's been sometime time since you woke up screaming." Using his old nick name. "Was it about the war? If so, we are prepared. You will be safe."

He stared through me, tears still streaming down flushed cheeks. His breath forced, harsh. His knuckles gripped fiercely at the sheets.

I couldn't stop myself. I wrapped my arms around him tightly, swaying side to side a little to get the fear out of his horrified eyes. When we were younger it wasn't too uncommon to wake up to his terror and screams. That's why he was moved across the hall from the Alpha's room, the furthest from the pack, as the pack complained. But as he got older it became less and less frequent. The last time must have been years ago by now. He grew accustomed to the fear.

So, whatever caused this means that it is bad.

He pulled away from me, gabbing my arms tightly, forcing me to look him in the eyes. The tears ceased, but his breath remained uneven, and labored.

"What was it?" I asked, concerned.

"Blood. Everywhere. Everyone dead. Vic it was us. The pack..." His voice shook, breaking off at the end as more tears fell.

I didn't need any more. This was more than bad. This could mean total annihilation. Of our own.