Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Alex

The cold January night nipped at the exposed flesh on my face, I tugged the collar of my coat up higher around my neck.

My cheeks flushed pink from the wind and glistening white flurries embedded in my mid-night hair that hung in my eyes.

Dried leaves crunched under the weight of my boots, that stepped over the fallen limbs and the veins in the muddied ground.

Neatly woven branches swayed with the bustling wind.

The early hours after midnight did not phase my ability to navigate through the forest.

The bushes across from me rustled before a large mass of muscle and fur threw me back and on to the ground. I couldn't breathe. Claws ripped at my abdomen. Hot, snarling in my ear. It's gold eyes glowering at me. The black and grey creature ceased its attack, backing away in a low crouch. ready to attack again at any moment.

Four legs changing to legs, the snout morphing to a nose, ears embedding them self in a mass dark auburn hair, the fur disappearing under soft touchable skin, concealed in winter clothing.

"Dame it Alex! Don't you know not to come out here!" He glared daggers through me as I coughed bringing the oxygen back into my lungs.

"If I couldn't have smelt you, I would have attacked you and possibly killed you!" He fumed. But under the stern tone I knew he was curious yet also, worried. He knew that I knew not to go in the woods at this time, not unless it was important.

"Ethan," I started but couldn't seem to find my words steady. "they- they're coming..." my voice was no higher than a mere whisper, but I knew he heard me. He started pacing and jumbled thoughts spewed out of his mouth. I was about to say something but was luckily cut off. Ehtan grabbed my wrist and began pulling me through the forest, to the edge, where the pack house is. I stumbled after his inhuman speed, my hot breaths left puffs of cloud about my face.

He burst through the house and called the pack to order. Once everyone was there, quit quickly, he started explaining.

"They are finally coming, and this time it's going to end in blood. We need to start preparing, meaning the children not of age, woman not a wolf, the injured and people unwilling to fight need to leave before dawn." There was sad looks across the room between the mates. Ethan continued,

"This fight, there will be bloodshed, our own, will die. But the Crusaders will die in vain, they will not be saved for the sins they committed." Ethan's strong, authorized voice never wavered.

The crusaders where the second largest pack in the country, they were also the country's number one drug operation. They have killed many of our pack over the last year, and one of them was our alpha. The alpha that was Ethan's father, meaning Ethan is now the Alpha. Our pact and the Crusaders have had each other's tails for ages, some reasons lost but one is for sure. We don't kill innocent humans.

The pack members mumbled and stared at each other unknowingly, I stood behind Ethan. I had no place here, I wasn't a wolf a part of this pack. I was just the stray with a bad past that left me as a supporting cast for Ethan.

Vic disbanded the group after a few more minutes, he was approached by a few good fighters that where older than Ethan and me. They questioned strategies and such. Even with the age difference, everyone still respected Ethan.

When there was a pause in their conversation I interjected,

"I'm, umm... Going to head to bed now." I said mostly to Ethan. I was the one that always knew things bad where going to happen, never the good. And I was never wrong.

I reached my room that was across from the alpha's. Taking a shower first, I wrong my long black fringe in the towel and then putting on a pair of boxers I slipped under the covers of the cold bed. The visions never stop when I sleep, it's not uncommon to wake up in a cold sweat crying. But I've gotten used to it.

Not...

I closed my eyes shivering slightly from cold, my eyes soon shut to only be enveloped in the dark fear that would never leave.

I heard the door open slightly in my sleep but was too far gone in the terror.