41 - HOPE FOR THE BEST

TONY WAS TRYING VERY HARD TO BE A GOOD DAD. He didn't quite use that word, since it sent him spiraling down a rabbit hole of thoughts he was not ready to commit to just yet, but the principle was the same, and he figured the best way to do that was to get fully immersed in the familial experience.

So, of course, his first order of business was winning over the robots.

"Alright, Roomba," he said, sitting in front of the dormant circular cleaning device, "So I know we haven't really gotten to know each other very well, but I figured that since I've been frequenting this place more and more, we should get to know each other, find some common ground."

The Roomba just continued to sit in its sleep mode.

He sighed, rising to his feet. "BUDDY, where are you?"

Tony expected to hear the sound of BUDDY coming out of his sleep mode, expanding and powering up, then answering him, but, instead, he just heard the sound of shuffling before a door opened, the Australian accent filling the room.

"I was in Remy's room, how can I help you, Mr. Stark?" BUDDY asked, moving to sit on the couch.

Tony blinked. "Does Remy not shut you down?"

BUDDY shook his head. "We set up a program where I will go to sleep if I need to charge my battery, but I'm free to wander and roam even if he's not around. I clean his room and help mom with laundry, and I knit clothes."

Tony blinked. "You're really part of the family, huh?"

BUDDY nodded as best he could. "As much as you are."

This robot was going to take over the world with its smooth talking alone, and Tony was both flattered, proud, and terrified all that once.

"Do you need a hug, Mr. Stark?" BUDDY asked, "I'm trying to process your expression, but it doesn't seem to be the correct one. Are you confused or in pain?"

Tony shrugged, dropping onto the couch, shaking his head. "I'm trying my best."

BUDDY moved to sit next to him, patting his head. "I'm proud of you, Mr. Stark, life can be incredibly difficult, and you trying is already indicative of your success, regardless of the outcomes."

Tony scoffed, moving so he was leaning against the robot. "Why are you talking formal to me, I know you talk normal to the kid. Who are you, Thor?"

BUDDY paused for a moment. "Do you miss Thor? Because I have listened to recordings of his voice, and I sound incredibly similar to him."

Tony shook his head, jumping to his feet. "I am not gonna cry to you about my feelings, that was never part of the plan and it isn't going to be. Look, I'm just trying to integrate myself into the Walsh family, and I figured you'd be the first and easiest to go to."

BUDDY paused. "Mr. Stark, you were always a part of the family. Just like I am, and Roomba." He leaned down to pat the robot on the head, and it woke up from its dormant state for a brief moment to make a humming sound before going back to sleep.

Tony stared, horrified. "Oh God, not again. Where's Banner, I need comforting."

BUDDY made a sound that seemed like a sigh, shuffling over to Tony and pulling him into a hug, raising his temperature so he could synthesize that of an actual person hugging Tony, and the man sighed, leaning into the warmth.

"I should probably go try and win over the sister and the best friend, huh," Tony sighed, reluctantly pulling away from BUDDY, "And the cousin and the other best friend."

"I don't think you have to try," BUDDY said, but Tony was already heading out the door, calling out a swift goodbye before leaving the robot alone.